My Garmin switched itself off mid ride. Any ideas why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m trying to understand those errors. If I go off a route with the wahoo i just appear off the dotted line on the map and it then flashes once I get back on the planned route. The Garmin did the same but had rerouting ability which was an advantage if very unpredictable. To view the whole route I’d look on the app. I’ve never tried routing with headset only via the app. I’ve had a few occasions where it has lost signal under trees as I did with Garmin. I don’t like the USB port cover and the Garmin mount was better. I’ve had one occasion when it hasn’t uploaded automatically although Strava was down that day. It pairs quite well with the phone so I can see texts and Mrs Geo can follow me, on occasion this drops out, probably because of the phone signal.

I think it is something you need to practice to get right. It took me a short time to get the hang of it, but it is second nature now.

I use Komoot on the fly and you are right, it can lead you along some paths that are not really suitable. Having said that it has not sent me along a path that I cannot ride with 28C tyres quite easily.

A friend of mine used komoot to plan a route from his house in Holland to my house in Denmark. It was 400+km and downloaded within seconds. He said in the entire journey there was about 1km he would not have chosen to ride. But was quite rideable.
educate me steve,
Does this komoot/wahoo twinning use the internet at any point to create the routeing that you rate so much?
Polite question.

Im not here to educate you. Thats what Google is for.
Sorry about that reply (and initially I think you had two posts, one after the other, telling me to go look at google) as have always valued your posts. I thought cchat was for folk to exchange info and views (latter politely expressed) about cycling stuff.
If the answer is just to google stuff, it may as well shut up shop.
Can only conclude that in fact wahoo is a cult - questions about it are seen as some form of blasphemy.

D

Deleted member 26715

There are only 2 rules about Wahoo Club

1. Don't ask about Wahoo Club
2. See Rule 1

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are only 2 rules about Wahoo Club

1. Don't ask about Wahoo Club
2. See Rule 1
Death to Gar-min
Death to Gar-min

It's a computer, they occasionally crash. It can also be caused by GPS signal jamming in the vicinity.
Agree - the odd crash is not critical as long as nothing is lost. Hardly as if it's crashing on a descent to another planet. I can also see that it might be an issue if you were in some sort of race but races I think are usually marked.

I'd be interested in more info you might have on the GPS "signal jamming" - you mean deliberate jamming or some sort of glitch? Have long had the idea that my Etrex 20 can switch off sometimes if it loses GPS signal contact, particularly if it's navigating a route of its own rather than one of my point to point inputted ones.

But as I say I don't see it as critical for my purposes. Am quietly confident that my stable of Etrex 20/s will see me out - pretty simple things, I am conservative with updating the software, endless supplies of new rechargeable AA batteries.

Venod

Eh up
I'd be interested in more info you might have on the GPS "signal jamming" - you mean deliberate jamming or some sort of glitch?

As stated in my post above mine would turn off after about 3 mile, always in the same vicinity, a country road through a small hamlet, a factory reset cured this, when I think back I can't remember it turning off if I took a different route from home, it dosn't turn off now where it used to, its a bit of a mystery combined with old age and senility.

If you were running on internal routing, could it have been a routing issue. Maybe solved by your maps having been updated? Mine sometimes decides that it cannot plot a route because it doesn't have the necessary map data.

Venod

Eh up
If you were running on internal routing, could it have been a routing issue. Maybe solved by your maps having been updated? Mine sometimes decides that it cannot plot a route because it doesn't have the necessary map data.

No i only use the Garmin for recording.

Top Bottom