My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Not my day today.. Next problem.

I have just fitted the 105 calipers to the bike and bung the wheels in and would you believe 3 of the brake blocks fit the rims and the 4th is short by nearly half inch. So what's that all about. FFS

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
You better hurry up with the bill as I'm moving house to get a bigger garage..:biggrin:

Can you buy one nearer to me please so i can share the extra space

Not my day today.. Next problem.

I have just fitted the 105 calipers to the bike and bung the wheels in and would you believe 3 of the brake blocks fit the rims and the 4th is short by nearly half inch. So what's that all about. FFS

what how don't understand , have you got the caliper square on the frame ?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Like this

Attachments

• brake.jpg
    brake.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 30

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Isn't there a fine adjustment screw on the top right (non cable side) just behind the visible allen bolt that will sort that out?

carpenter

Über Member
You have the quick release lever (left hand side) in the open position. Push lever down then adjust cable tension and brake position - loosen Allen screw bolt that fixes to brake bridge, rotate brake body until brake blocks are equidistant from rims then tighten to frame. Hope this helps, it looks like you have limited drop on the brakes, have you removed the wheel and put it back on in a different position?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Sorry guys its been manic.. If you look chain side the bit that the blocks slide up and down is longer than the near side, so the brake block is on the tyre and not lower down on the rim.

The drop is longer chain side.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You have the quick release lever (left hand side) in the open position. Push lever down then adjust cable tension and brake position - loosen Allen screw bolt that fixes to brake bridge, rotate brake body until brake blocks are equidistant from rims then tighten to frame. Hope this helps, it looks like you have limited drop on the brakes, have you removed the wheel and put it back on in a different position?

The drop as you say is longer one side than the other so three are right and one is wrong, if that makes sense.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Have you tried the adjustment screw? Turn it one way and then the other and see what the effect. You may need a longer drop calliper.

Top Bottom