My Raleigh Bike. The Start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Easy to re grease a BB,.
Hard to deal with it if anything at all goes wrong.
Take the deal.
We all have BB stories.
Better to learn those black arts on a discard
rubbish bike you have no need for, or attachment to.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You need special tools, too. More than 10 quid worth of tools.

12boy

Guru
Unless you have an animus against using nonperiod parts my preference would be to have the LBS guy stick in a cartridge BB instead of rebuilding the old one. He will have the old one so as to match spindle length exactly and you wont have to deal with it again, or at least for many years. The only tool you will need is an 8mm allen wrench and some 8 mm allenbolts to attach the crank arms. Be sure to get a long allen wrench made for those bolts because unless they are tight any slop will trash the square female part of the crank arm that goes on the spindle. Just my opinion.

Unless you have an animus against using nonperiod parts my preference would be to have the LBS guy stick in a cartridge BB instead of rebuilding the old one. He will have the old one so as to match spindle length exactly and you wont have to deal with it again, or at least for many years. The only tool you will need is an 8mm allen wrench and some 8 mm allenbolts to attach the crank arms. Be sure to get a long allen wrench made for those bolts because unless they are tight any slop will trash the square female part of the crank arm that goes on the spindle. Just my opinion.
not that you should have any problems with your bb after it's been cleaned up, but if I had to crack it open, I'd swap it for a cartridge too. Will the lbs guy let you sit in on the session? Useful learning experience!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
not that you should have any problems with your bb after it's been cleaned up, but if I had to crack it open, I'd swap it for a cartridge too. Will the lbs guy let you sit in on the session? Useful learning experience!

The lbs chap said it would be £10 for a re grease and £30 for a new BB but I don't know if he would let me sit in which I would love to do. I know the guy at the other bike shop would let me watch and learn?
I could go and see the second shop and ask what he would charge?
But I was thinking that a re grease would fix things but would I be doing enough mileage to warrant a new BB as I have another Raleigh bike and a third on the way?
But I would like to learn? mmmmm

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The lbs chap said it would be £10 for a re grease and £30 for a new BB but I don't know if he would let me sit in which I would love to do. I know the guy at the other bike shop would let me watch and learn?
But I was thinking that a re grease would fix things but would I be doing enough mileage to warrant a new BB as I have another Raleigh bike and a third on the way?

Depending on the age of the bike it may have a Raleigh threaded BB fitted not a standard BSA threaded one.

if the spindle is worn you won't have much choice but to bin, and I'd be surprised if at least the bearings (prob on a bike of this age they'd be caged) didn't need replacing.

Depending on the age of the bike it may have a Raleigh threaded BB fitted not a standard BSA threaded one.
I'd say standard all the way on this one, which reminds me, @Boon 51 have you dated the bike yet?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Isn't that a Biopace chainset? That would date it sometime after 1983 - early 90s if original equipment. Shimano bottom bracket too?

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I have just made a bit of a cock up as this thread is about my Raleigh bike but in fact I should have put this on the other thread about 1980s bikes as it is about my Peugeot 351 bike.
So sorry for the mix up?

midlife

Guru
Ah, might be a French bottom bracket? They are 68 mm shell but both sides are clockwise thread with a wider distance between the bearings than UK

Italian 70 mm ones go in iirc, but it's been a long time and the old memory can play tricks ........

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Ah, might be a French bottom bracket? They are 68 mm shell but both sides are clockwise thread with a wider distance between the bearings than UK

Italian 70 mm ones go in iirc, but it's been a long time and the old memory can play tricks ........

I have just looked a y tube video and all he used that I haven't got is the BB remover and the big looped spanner for undoing the BB.

Top Bottom