My thoughts exackly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richard Mann

The Sustrans-standard emphasis on safe routes away from the traffic (and 20mph on residential streets) is rather ignoring the (probably more difficult, but necessary all the same) need for slowing traffic on main roads and making them safe for grown-ups to cycle on.

Considering last night I was travelling at 60mph and was passed by someone I'd estimate at travelling at close to 100mph (which he then continued into the 40mph zone further on) I think that enforcing any limit whatsoever is the next challenge.

Too many people know that they will not be caught.

pshore

Too many people know that they will not be caught.

I keep thinking that the way out of this hole might be Police Community Traffic Officers.

The real police can't be everywhere, there just isn't enough of them. In my village, the PCSO's are dealing with anti-social teenagers and can't deal with traffic offences anyway. We have had Speedwatch from residents but it is ineffective. Once in a blue moon we get a cop with a speedgun for an hour. So maybe it is time that locals could police their own roads.

I am thinking in the area of black and white offences initially, like speeding, and mobile phone use that would result in actual fines and points. I think you would get enough volunteers to make it work. You would be hated more than traffic wardens though !

byegad

Legendary Member
Give me a certified date stamped camera and I'll book you a dozen drivers on their mobiles in less than an half hour.

Instead give every PCSO such a camera and tell them to get twenty drivers a day, stick them with a fixed penalty notice and publicise it. and you will stop mobile phone use on the move within a year.

StuartG

slower but further
Might be a real justice to use those with a Community Service Order to nick speeders/mobile phone users. Using criminals to nick criminals. Revenue without cost ...

Top Bottom