My wife say's...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good to see you pulled the trigger on a Brooks

I don’t really need it, there’s nothing wrong with the stock saddle in my opinion but I found a new one for a Dixon’s 90 quid, so I’ll give it a try. Looking for matching leather grips now.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just put on the brown Brooks B17 saddle on Brompton. What I want know what Prince/Princess of darkness thought the pentaclip was a good idea? What a feckin twunting pain in the feckin arse that is. See diagram below, it’s great fun picking that lot up off the floor.

Be aware @wafter be very aware. And @Gunk why didn’t you warn me?

IMG_3521.jpeg

IMG_3523.jpeg

Also fitted a Quadlock.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I should have warned you, you need a vice like grip to hold it all together when you pull the bolt out. Brooks looks great by the way, really nice with the green frame

Thank you, I love it, if I hadn’t been so impatient to get one, I would have ordered a version with green rear triangle and fork, but they had that in the shop and I wanted to get it before the Fragrant MrsP changed her mind.

Do you think I think I need brown handlebar grips? I think the collars & cuffs should match.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just put on the brown Brooks B17 saddle on Brompton. What I want know what Prince/Princess of darkness thought the pentaclip was a good idea? What a feckin twunting pain in the feckin arse that is. See diagram below, it’s great fun picking that lot up off the floor.

Be aware @wafter be very aware. And @Gunk why didn’t you warn me?

View attachment 696273

View attachment 696274

Also fitted a Quadlock.

lol - thanks; although I've been there and done that numerous time in the last week..

How are you finding the saddle's positional integrity? I found mine consistently tipped back (legs up to my armpits, so I run as much layback as possible). Solved this by torquing it up to the surprisingly high factory value (15Nm) however this resulted in the manky, burred washer on the bolt scratching the fook out of the clamp :sad:

So, if you're concerned about such things and your clamp remains mint, I'd suggest running the wave(?) washer over a stone the next time you have it to bits ;)

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
lol - thanks; although I've been there and done that numerous times!

How are you finding the saddle's positional integrity? I found mine consistently tipped back (legs up to my armpits, so I run as much layback as possible). Solved this by torquing it up the surprisingly high factory value (15Nm) however this resulted in the manky, burred washer on the bolt scratching the fook out of the clamp :sad:

So, if you're concerned about such things and your clamp remains mint, I'd suggest running the wave(?) washer over a stone the next time you have it to bits ;)

Mine is now fitted with a late 1970’s Brooks Competition and it is supremely comfortable, the Swift I had fitted to my old Brommie was like sitting on an iron bar.

IMG_1522.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
lol - thanks; although I've been there and done that numerous time in the last week..

How are you finding the saddle's positional integrity? I found mine consistently tipped back (legs up to my armpits, so I run as much layback as possible). Solved this by torquing it up to the surprisingly high factory value (15Nm) however this resulted in the manky, burred washer on the bolt scratching the fook out of the clamp :sad:

It’s fine now I’ve sorted it, it was playing Jenga in reverse. Feckin thing.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
IMG_3530.jpeg

Just been down the shops.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A few gratuitous photos of the B with some additions. Decathlon bottle bag, Brooks Brown B17, QuadLock phone holder, an ‘Off Yer Bike’ carry handle and a Brompton back pack bag, which is utterly brilliant. Other additions; The Brompton tool kit is in the frame and the EZ clamp springs are on the clamps.
476DD9F4-4C83-41A5-837D-C7CB455738EE.jpeg

4EAB56CB-0351-4DF5-B966-F9AEC1885BDF.jpeg

C3607564-4225-48D6-80CE-90EEC6BAD406.jpeg

8D331FD5-7047-4B65-9A01-F9126F719B37.jpeg

EDD23F17-90E9-4B14-87A0-AB11A6CF9D50.jpeg

Bonus phots of my 55 year old Dawes Kingpin.

26A60488-1B73-4893-9F75-B796AB8A9566.jpeg

simongt

Guru
After buying and using a Giant Halfway then a Dahon between us, then selling them on as they just didn't cut the mustard, we did the right thing and both bought Bromptons.
It's a decision that we are both very happy with and have never regretted it for a moment. :okay: They are both used as our city / commute bikes mostly for shopping; weekly and otherwise and also for those 'just popping out rides'.
As has been alluded to, a Brommy rides like no other bike and is such fun wizzing round town on. :wahhey:
Go for it - ! ^_^

I turned my S6L into a M6L and am increasingly aware that my posterior is requiring something a bit broader than the Rolls saddle currently installed. I am tempted to give the vintage but barely used B17 I inherited a go in it’s place, but it isn’t half heavy!

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
How are you getting on with the Brooks?

It’s blumen smashing! I was telling a colleague about it earlier today ( he has a Brompton) that I didn’t really have a problem with the stock saddle, but after having done over 50 miles on the Brooks, it’s so much more comfortable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom