My winter fixed Dunelt is ready

OP
biggs682

biggs682

Smile a mile bike provider
The best tip for descending is to relax. Being tense makes movements less fluid.
Tried this on today's fixed ride and it works .
Felt a lot more relaxed and at ease on descents .

12boy

Über Member
It's not a sin to fit a front brake. When I rode fixed that brake saved me on more than one occasion. Knowing it was there enabled me to relax when riding downhill or in situations where unexpected quick stops are likely.

12boy

Über Member
After riding fixed for a while on 700 c 28 mm tires I hankered for wider. My surly steamroller claims 38 mm possible but not with a rear brake, I found. The fork is fine. In terms of winter riding, Schwalbe 35 mm studded tires really make a difference on icy roads and can cut through some snow too. They do raise the effort level a bit so a lower gear may be needed. I've found fixed gear bikes a bit better on slick surfaces they seem more sensitive to sensing traction loss. The front brake sure is nice on an icy road, though.

I've never fallen off on slippy roads when on fixed. I think it just demands more concentration,so you're more careful to begin with. Also, you can slow down gently through the pedals with very little risk of skidding.

Top Bottom