My winter fixed Dunelt is ready

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
The best tip for descending is to relax. Being tense makes movements less fluid.

Tried this on today's fixed ride and it works .
Felt a lot more relaxed and at ease on descents .

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just to show how hip me and the Dunelt are we stopped at Bozeat skate park this morning.

12boy

Guru
It's not a sin to fit a front brake. When I rode fixed that brake saved me on more than one occasion. Knowing it was there enabled me to relax when riding downhill or in situations where unexpected quick stops are likely.

12boy

Guru
After riding fixed for a while on 700 c 28 mm tires I hankered for wider. My surly steamroller claims 38 mm possible but not with a rear brake, I found. The fork is fine. In terms of winter riding, Schwalbe 35 mm studded tires really make a difference on icy roads and can cut through some snow too. They do raise the effort level a bit so a lower gear may be needed. I've found fixed gear bikes a bit better on slick surfaces they seem more sensitive to sensing traction loss. The front brake sure is nice on an icy road, though.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never fallen off on slippy roads when on fixed. I think it just demands more concentration,so you're more careful to begin with. Also, you can slow down gently through the pedals with very little risk of skidding.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'll do 35 miles on the yellow Harry Quinn fixie tomorrow morning. I much prefer it unless the terrain is extreme. Long flattish rides like the Dunwich Dynamo are great on fixed. I'd never do it on gears again.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'll do 35 miles on the yellow Harry Quinn fixie tomorrow morning. I much prefer it unless the terrain is extreme. Long flattish rides like the Dunwich Dynamo are great on fixed. I'd never do it on gears again.

I am finding It's all about getting the right tempo going and tailoring your routes to suit

CXRAndy

Guru
Never saw the point of fixed gearing outside a track environment. A freewheel is far superior and matches the simple drive line.

12boy

Guru
I am currently single speed, largely because the hills here require 140+rpm descents on a fixie. There are still a couple of things I prefer on a fixie, although this is just my opinion.
When riding on ice and snow the fixie keeps me more aware of traction or lack thereof . It also allows me to shed speed when my rims are wet or icy and the brakes don't work well.
I am very familiar with the bike routes in my little town and unfortunately fall into a Zen autopilot state in which I am not vigilant. As we know, vigilance is not only the cost of freedom but also is a requisite for avoiding accidents. Riding fixed requires me to pay attention and so is safer, since inattention by me or car drivers have caused all my accidents.
It's fun to have that direct drive connection with the bike. I like chicken but a big bloody steak is tasty too.

Top Bottom