Nearly taken out by a coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
That the bus driver decided to swerve at the cyclist later down the line does suggest a bully boy driver. That Matthew decided to react to the original incident maybe because he was annoyed etc and perhaps from his safety point of view was not the best option. However, that Matthew is prepared to take the matter further is in all our best interests as there are too many people on the roads who don't give a damn and should not be allowed to be in control (so to speak) of a vehicle of any type. All too often culprits in this country get away with things because nothing is done.

Crankarm

Guru
Mathew let the cops deal with the bus company. I wouldn't bother contacting them. You could also contact the school or local authority which adminsters the contract with the bus company which might cause the company a few problems.

I had this happed to me about 5 years ago in Peterborough. A double decker school bus full of kids the driver was right on my rear wheel about 6 inches behind. I thought he was going to drive over me. He looked a typical fat thug, over weight bald slob. He then tried to close pass me in slow moving traffic, this was when I used to cycle on the roads, not now. Any way he cut in on me as he close passed me when I was half way down the near side of the bus forcing me into the kerb. I had to jump with my bike up onto the pavement sharpish to avoid being crushed. The bus then had to stop about 100 yds up the road. So I rode up the outside of the stationary traffic as nothing was on coming. As I approached the bus the driver stuck his arm out his driver's window flicking me the bird. Traffic was now on coming meaning I had nowhere to go having to ride around his arm and get knocked down. So I grabbed his arm as best I could as I rode by and pulled him cleam against the glass of his window. Kids started laughing and cheering on the bus. Served the fecker right for trying to kill me.

Glad you are ok. There's no point being a hero against vehicles especially big ones. You will always come off worse. As I say I would let plod do their bit and contact the school and local authority which in hindsight is what I should have done.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Lol that number plate is a common plate i believe the 3 letters TIB are related to The Institute Of The Blind. Its quite a common plate i think ? Seems ironic it applies to the driver though !

markharry66

Über Member
"I have never known any one to get into so much trouble on a bike" .

Really you must live on a desert island by yourself
Glad you are okay Matthew not much you could have done

Hawk

Veteran
I have never known any one to get into so much trouble on a bike .

My thoughts as well.

Remind me never to ride my bike in Wales, bloody dangerous place by the sound of it.

Having watched most of Matthew's latest videos, I don't think he's really doing anything wrong. Certainly nothing major enough to contribute to these incidents he reports. In fact, his cycling seems to be pretty decent these days.

Some places seem to attract poorer driving than others.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Having watched most of Matthew's latest videos, I don't think he's really doing anything wrong. Certainly nothing major enough to contribute to these incidents he reports. In fact, his cycling seems to be pretty decent these days.
My riding only seems decent because I have picked up a lot of things from people on here and altered my cycling likewise. I would like to think of myself as a competent rider who knows how to stay out of trouble. Unfortunately, I tend to be a magnet for cicotic drivers.
If there is anything wrong with my riding style right now, then I welcome people to comment.

BTW when I do eventually upload the video, it may seem like I didnt take primary. This was because I just didnt have the chance. The bus overtook me before I thought it wise to move out so it might seem like I encouraged the bus to overtake me.
This is not the case, I didnt move out because I was a distance away from the roundabout and I didnt want to hold up traffic. Upon viewing the incident again and again, I cannot see anything wrong with my riding style. I didnt hold the driver up, cut in front of him or do anything to encourage or bring on the abuse and potentially life ending manouvres that I received.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I went into the police station this morning and reported the incident. The police officer read through my statement (courtesy of another CC user) and reviewed the footage.
She concluded that there were no laws persay that had been broken and that it would be difficult to issue the driver with a Section 59. She did however say that she would ring the bus company and notify them of the incident and suggested that I make a complaint with the company and link the video with it.

I have made a complaint with the company and awaiting a reply. The video is online if anyone wants to see it.

dodd82

Good for you - hopefully you'll receive a decent response.

Can you show us the video now?

dodd82

He is close - too close. I have to say though, I find that sort of distance quite common on my commute :sad:

Top Bottom