Nearly taken out by a coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
He is close - too close. I have to say though, I find that sort of distance quite common on my commute :sad:
If he had completed the first pass, then I wouldnt have been too bothered and just saved the video file as a "Close Pass". However, it was the fact that he moved towards me, didnt complete the overtake, gave me the finger, tailgated me around the roundabout, and then overtook way too close and cut in that really narked me off.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I dont know how to react to the reply from the company:
Dear Mr T

Thank you for your email below.

The YouTube video is very illuminating, as are the considerable number of other you have videos posted.

Please be assured we take road safety as a top priority and expect the highest standards of professional driving and customer service from all our staff, at all times.

Issues arising from your reporting of this incident will be dealt with immediately and in accordance with our company’s policies.

Thank you for bringing the matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely

Jason Beattie
I am not sure what he means by "as are the considerable number of other videos". Is he trying to say that I go out and look for these incidents? I am actually quite offended by this comment.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I dont know how to react to the reply from the company:

I am not sure what he means by "as are the considerable number of other videos". Is he trying to say that I go out and look for these incidents? I am actually quite offended by this comment.

I don't know. It could be badly worded, and he meant something like "I see you have other videos of close passes as well."
Hard to say without the tone of voice.

Crankarm

Guru
You will just have to wait and see Mathew.

What I can't fathom, well I can actually as they are useless, is why the police haven't taken this matter further as the second pass of you is frankly dangerous and at the very least warrant words of advice to the driver/company. I would go back to the police and literally demand action or demand to speak with a senior officer as the driving of that coach as he passed you for the second, as well as the first, but definately the second, was deliberately close and the only conclusion that can be reached is the driver was trying to scare you or the driving was so bad it fell well below the standard required by a PSV licence holder. I was scared watching it. (Could report it to the Driving Standards Agnecy who I think might monitor coach and HGV drivers (although some one might say this is not the case). You could have been killed had he missed judged his drving across your path forcing you to the kerb. Did you at any point bang on the side of the coach at any time, as I would have! What a complete b*****d! Alpine Travel coaches driven my homicidal maniacs. AVOID.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
You will just have to wait and see Mathew.

What I can't fathom, well I can actually as they are useless, is why the police haven't taken this matter further as the second pass of you is frankly dangerous and at the very least warrant words of advice to the driver/company. I would go back to the police and literally demand action or demand to speak with a senior officer as the driving of that coach as he passed you for the second, as well as the first, but definately the second, was deliberately close and the only conclusion that can be reached is the driver was trying to scare you or the driving was so bad it fell well below the standard required by a PSV licence holder. I was scared watching it. (Could report it to the Driving Standards Agnecy who I think might monitor coach and HGV drivers (although some one might say this is not the case). You could have been killed had he missed judged his drving across your path forcing you to the kerb. Did you at any point bang on the side of the coach at any time, as I would have! What a complete b*****d! Alpine Travel coaches driven my homicidal maniacs. AVOID.
The reason that I never bang on the side of vehicles is that I prefer to have both hands on the bars, covering the brakes just in case. I fear that if I did bang on the side, he would swerve into me or I might swerve into him.

I am stable on my bike but would like to just be certain I was able to stop in an emergency.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I would go back to the police and literally demand action or demand to speak with a senior officer as the driving of that coach as he passed you for the second, as well as the first, but definately the second, was deliberately close and the only conclusion that can be reached is the driver was trying to scare you or the driving was so bad it fell well below the standard required by a PSV licence holder.
I think I will just wait and see what happens with the company.

The police officer said that she would also notify the company that I am pending a response relating to this incident:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9TRp4omOM&feature=g-upl

endoman

Maybe the bus driver was a little concerned that you pulled out in front of him on a wet road from a side road ? He would have had to slow quite a bit to miss you despite him having right of way.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy

i would send a pm but i cant be bothered these days
soo. Can use this in my vlog, which has not come out in some time but i plan to get one out.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have this feeling that the blame is going to be passed back onto yourself. "The driver having re-acted to your careless & below par cycling".

Don't be too suprised if the wording isn't much different to that used above. Not my way of seeing things I'll add.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The biggest mistake you made was to put yourself in front of the bus following the 1st pass that made you uncomfortable. I wouldn't have filtered, I would have hung back and let him proceed. But that is with the benefit of hindsight.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The biggest mistake you made was to put yourself in front of the bus following the 1st pass that made you uncomfortable. I wouldn't have filtered, I would have hung back and let him proceed.
I think that is a mixed opinion. I felt more comfortable getting out of the inside of the bus and just chose to go in front. It would have been safer going behind but it was a spur of the moment type of thing.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Also, I do sort of agree with endoman about you pulling out, it wasn't outright daft of you, in fact it might have been perfectly fine, hard to judge distance on the video with that wide angle lens, but to me, given the conditions, it looked like he was a bit close to pull out in front of, not leaving yourself much time to accelerate (this part is speculative based on the quality of the video, obviously you could better judge the distance and it might not have been as close as it appears).

None of which excuses the punishment pass, but all things you could have noted given a perfect world.

classic33

Leg End Member
http://www.dft.gov.uk/topics/tpm/traffic-commissioners
Nick Jones38 George Road
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 1PL
Phone: 0300 123 9000

Either phone the number given or write to him at the address given.

Give me a week & I should have the names, addresses & possibly the numbers of the people who either own it or are directors of it. "It", being the coach company.

Are you certain on the number given as it doesn't appear/'s not showing as being in their fleet. Despite the name on the side. Possible front end near side damage above the door, from where the tree was struck.

Top Bottom