Nearly taken out by a coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
And you clearly have a lot to learn.
Thats why I have been polite about his comment. I didnt want to be too harsh.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What, not to argue with the resident crowd?

Alan...
You have every right to argue your point. But the fact is that everyone says "I would have done this and that differently" all the time. Unless you are in the exact same situation and you dont have time to think about what is the right thing to do, then your comment will always be "I would have done this...".

You have already announced that you are new to cycling and I dont want to critisize your views too much as you obviously are not experienced in these kind of situations.

D

Deleted member 26715

Argue with whoever you like. Your comments suggest your knowledge of road-positioning is very poor. As a newcomer to cycling, you'd be better off taking advice instead of giving it.

So I'll just throw away the 30 years of advance motorcycling knowledge then shall I, it clearly in your opinion has no place here, duly noted.

Alan...

Hip Priest

Veteran
So I'll just throw away the 30 years of advance motorcycling knowledge then shall I, it clearly in your opinion has no place here, duly noted.

Alan...

Motorcycling and cycling are very different disciplines. I don't know the first thing about motorcycling. If I ever take up motorcycling, I like to think I'd have the humility to listen to the advice of experienced motorcyclists instead of shouting my mouth off.

classic33

Leg End Member
Matthew_T
What if anything, that you were aware of at the time, was following behind the coach. Knowing what may have been behind, assuming you & they had sight of each other, may have enabled you to slow & drop in behind the coach. As per "advice" being given.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
What if anything, that you were aware of at the time, was following behind the coach. Knowing what may have been behind, assuming you & they had sight of each other, may have enabled you to slow & drop in behind the coach. As per "advice" being given.
I could se more clearly than the video and I was aware of a large amount of vehicles behind the bus (closer than the gap I went into. Going behind the bus when it first tried to pass me could have cause all sorts of problems with other vehicles. My decision was a spur of the moment, whether is was right or wrong, I would like to think that I got out of a dangerous situation.
I understand that putting myself in front of the bus was dangerous but I didnt think that the driver was going to be this dangerous. I simply thought of the first pass as a misjudgement of the length of the vehicle.
If I had known that the driver was going to pass me like he did the second time, then I would have dropped back or stopped.

RWright

Guru
There was a car that came by in the other lane very soon after the bus had passed you the second time. He may have misjudged that pass. He has a responsibility to watch out for you but so do you. Be careful and choose the situations you put yourself into carefully. You have to watch out for you as well. I personally would not have rushed out in front of a huge bus on a narrow road to start with, regardless if a car was letting me go in front of them or not.

classic33

Leg End Member
The second "close pass" isn't justified by what the cyclist did.
Unoccupied coach is bad enough, but if there were school kids on it at the time, then that driver has a duty of care as defined in the contract with the local authority. This is not to be taken lightly, by either the driver or the company. Loss of such a run/contract could shut the company.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Loss of such a run/contract could shut the company.
That could cause problems. Alpine Travel is used by most local schools and the college's in the area. If the company shut down, then there isnt another company big enough in the area to cover all of the services Alpine provide.

classic33

Leg End Member
That could cause problems. Alpine Travel is used by most local schools and the college's in the area. If the company shut down, then there isnt another company big enough in the area to cover all of the services Alpine provide.
The point I was trying to make is, if the company were seen to have done nothing then they may find that business is taken elswhere. Suppose the coach had been full of school kids & in the second "pass" a mis-judgement was made as to the speed & dierection being travelled at that point, resulted in the coach leaving the road.
How would that be viewed, given that some-one had the last few minutes of the coach's journey on the road, on camera?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The point I was trying to make is, if the company were seen to have done nothing then they may find that business is taken elswhere. Suppose the coach had been full of school kids & in the second "pass" a mis-judgement was made as to the speed & dierection being travelled at that point, resulted in the coach leaving the road.
How would that be viewed, given that some-one had the last few minutes of the coach's journey on the road, on camera?
I understand your point now and agree with it fully.
I will obviously have to wait until next week to hear a response from the company obviously but it will be interesting to see what actions are taken, if any internally.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I think I will just wait and see what happens with the company.

The police officer said that she would also notify the company that I am pending a response relating to this incident:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr9TRp4omOM&feature=g-upl

Am i missing something here sorry if i am these are 2 seperate incidents right by 2 different bus drivers ? what happened before the close pass of the 2nd video the double decker 1 ?? the driver seemed to be annoyed about something judging by his hand movements ?

Top Bottom