Nearly wiped out a whole cycling club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Use your shoulder. Far more effective than shouting.
@vickster has just had shoulder surgery, so she better not or BUPA will cancel her policy.

I am going to start sending emails every time a road user makes me use my brakes. The nerve. May even put it on Twitter. Cant get away with this.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I am going to start sending emails every time a road user makes me use my brakes. The nerve. May even put it on Twitter. Cant get away with this.

Emergency stop is not quite the same sentiment as had to brake a bit.

I had to do an emergency brake in very wet conditions to avoid ploughing into the back of a Range Rover (to meet one stereotype) who had just overtaken me then slammed on the brakes as couldn't pass a parked car. This is not the same as easing off slightly to, say, allow merging traffic.

boydj

Legendary Member
I've seen this happen, including the emergency braking from cars with priority, in sportives where people seem to think they are racing and slowing for anything is a nono.

On club runs there would generally be a shout of 'Easy' from the front so that everybody is prepared to stop if necessary. If the bunch is split, then the leading group would soft-pedal until everybody was together again.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@peedee - can you say what club colours were most commonly worn, or if there didn't seem to be any? You can often ID groups by knowing that and the area.

I find it difficult to believe that any driver on a roundabout (unless it was a very big roundabout) was going at such a speed that an emergency stop was necessary - that just smacks of a lack of observation and anticipation.
Don't be silly: the Driver-nati Rules say that once you've crossed the line onto the roundabout, you boot the loud pedal and squeal around the centre island as hard as tyre grip permits! ;)

Do you go round roundabouts really slowly then, in case a car turns on to the roundabout, without right of way, right in front of you?
Not really slowly, but slow enough that I can stop. I live close enough to a hospital and a fire station that blue light vehicles are pretty common, but drivers are still taught to be ready for even an out-of-control car rolling out. Why aren't you?

As a cyclist, using a public highway, you have a responsibility to ride in a manner that doesn't inconvenience other road users, whenever possible. It's even in the guide, that is the Highway Code.
I'm pretty sure that is what is a crock. I join @Tim Hall in asking you to cite the Highway Code rules you think say that.

Not correct. The leader's duty of care to both the other riders and other road users mean that in the circumstances described, even if the lead rider had had nominal priority, he should stop.
It depends on the group and the practices they use, but it does sound rather like some cyclists should have given way to those already on the roundabout. Also, some of the cyclists may have been told to stop and not done so, which happens more easily when there aren't enough leaders to split into more manageable groups.

400bhp

Guru
As do I, both in a car, and on a bicycle.

I've never hit anything driving, nor have I cycled onto a roundabout at high speeds in front of a vehicle leaving very it very little time to stop.

The roundabout you posted up is on two TT courses, however I don't think it's part of a [proper] racing circuit.

Are uou sure it was a club? It could have been a sportive when some cyclists appear to lose their way of thinking for the duration of the ride.

400bhp

Guru
BTW, I feel I must go onto the VW Golf forum to start a post about a feckin numpty that drove straight at me on a mini r'about, completely oblivious to my existence on Saturday.

On second thoughts I CBA.

@peedee - can you say what club colours were most commonly worn, or if there didn't seem to be any? You can often ID groups by knowing that and the area.

Don't be silly: the Driver-nati Rules say that once you've crossed the line onto the roundabout, you boot the loud pedal and squeal around the centre island as hard as tyre grip permits! ;)

Not really slowly, but slow enough that I can stop. I live close enough to a hospital and a fire station that blue light vehicles are pretty common, but drivers are still taught to be ready for even an out-of-control car rolling out. Why aren't you?

I'm pretty sure that is what is a crock. I join @Tim Hall in asking you to cite the Highway Code rules you think say that.

It depends on the group and the practices they use, but it does sound rather like some cyclists should have given way to those already on the roundabout. Also, some of the cyclists may have been told to stop and not done so, which happens more easily when there aren't enough leaders to split into more manageable groups.

Must resist...... Must resist......

image.jpeg

PK99

Legendary Member
Nice picture. Anyway, I'm having trouble finding a reference in the Highway Code where it says
Can you help?

This is close:

This section should be read by all drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders. The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

Top Bottom