Need a helmet that will not make me too sweaty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
I accept that nothing will be fresher than no helmet (without going into that debate). I cycle 15 mph for 8 miles each way to work and am a sweaty betty. bought a helmet 3 years ago (bonranger 35 quid from evans) which I hate so have worn it only a few times but my wife is always asking me to wear it and with winter coming i guess its the right thing to do and hopefully the really hot and sweaty days are gone for a while. was trying some on in Evans today....the sales rep kind of concluded that the more you pay the better ventilation it will be which may well be true. anyone recommend a particularly good one. budget wise, 50 to 150 really but would prefer closer to 50 unless it really is a big difference. i always get really hot....even in winter and especially my head/face so anything which won't worsen this.

thanks

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Nothing will prevent you from sweating. Best to find the most comfortable helmet and wear something like a dhb summer headband to help manage your sweat

midlife

Guru
The ones I looked at seemed to have the same sort of holes and slots so concentrated on one that fitted and felt comfortable. Ended up with a Bell, felt better than some more expensive ones.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Without doing, you know, that debate, if it's just to make your partner happy, I'd sit down with her and have a discussion about active versus passive safety. If helmets make you hot, that's going to sap concentration, putting you more at risk.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a Specialized Max XL which has good ventilation, including a great big air scoop along the front (and a detachable visor for when you're MTB-ing or it's raining). It's designed for the bigger head, but the Specialized Align looks to be a very similar design if you have a more standard sized bonce. Both priced at around £35.

001.JPG

Or the Specialized Airnet is currently on offer at Evans from £70 (was £115) which is specifically designed for improved ventilation and features "4th dimension cooling" whatever that is...:laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think it's just a case of searchng for one with the most/best ventilation holes. There's nothing special about the Giro helmet I have, I don't get too sweaty even in the heat down here, but it does have plenty of holes.
Mind you I am follicley challenged, that may have something to do with it.

Last edited:

adamhearn

Veteran
@united4ever what model of helmet do you have at the moment and did you buy it based on cost/looks or fit/purpose?

It's not law to wear a helmet so if you don't want to wear one then don't. You'll just have to inform your partner your reasons and how you think you'll be as safe as if you did wear one. Unless you don't actually believe that yourself and if that's the case go back to the shop(s) and look for the lightest most vented lid they sell.

Coming at it from a different perspective, can you perhaps exert yourself less on your commute?

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I have never found a non-sweaty helmet and of course with the weather getting colder something non-sweaty now may be sweaty come summer.

The other problem you have is that helmet specifications are notoriously less demanding than a typical road cyclist (a 1m fall from 12mph). To make it less sweaty you are realistically having to remove structure so you may inadvertently be cycling round with something even less effective on your head.

The one that always persuades my Mum who doesn't believe any anti-helmet arguments (or that it is safe to have no tread on my road tyres) is that for every chance of having a serious injury or death whilst cycling you reduce by twenty times the health risks from sedentary disease. So you are far better cycling no matter what and a helmet is likely to make little difference either side of that x20.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The POC Octal Avip is preposterously light and extremely well ventilated. And IME about as comfortable as it's possible for a lump of polystyrene encasing your head to be.

It also costs several times more than @Alan O spends on a bike.

Top Bottom