Need a new Derailleur, which one please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

I currently have a SHIMANO TOURNEY RD-TX800 7 8 SPEED BIKE REAR DERAILLEUR GEAR MECH DIRECT ATTACH. Unfortunately, the guy who I purchased the Cycle from, he didn't tell me the derailleur had been threaded while fastening it onto the derailleur hanger at some point. This has left the derailleur loose and I'm unable to remove it from the hanger. I've purchased a new hanger, but when I look on eBay for this derailleur it must be quite old because there was only one seller. Can anyone tell me if there's an updated version to this derailleur that will fit my Cycle? Thank you!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-...878709&hash=item5b491f7b45:g:Vw4AAOSwTmtavRGE

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

If you have a new hanger then the Acera (bit of an upgrade) should fit,

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjakb_g9-PbAhUpBcAKHXWDATgQ9aACCEU&adurl=

The Tourney you linked to seems to be a 'direct fit' although the picture shows a 'hanger fit' model (direct fit does not need a hanger, it fixes on to the axle nut with a built in hanger that is riveted to the derailleur)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When i bought my 2nd hand MTB 18 years ago, all it needed was the wheels truing and new rear mech. I was skint so spent £7 on an Acera one. A couple of years later i replaced it with an XT mech but i couldn't tell any difference between a £7 mech and a £35 one (although the XT one looks nicer). They even felt pretty much the same weight when i was swapping them over. Nothing at all wrong with Acera in my experience.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

:welcome:

If you have a new hanger then the Acera (bit of an upgrade) should fit,

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...hUKEwjakb_g9-PbAhUpBcAKHXWDATgQ9aACCEU&adurl=

The Tourney you linked to seems to be a 'direct fit' although the picture shows a 'hanger fit' model (direct fit does not need a hanger, it fixes on to the axle nut with a built in hanger that is riveted to the derailleur)

When I saw that pic of the Tourney derailleur on eBay, I thought it looked like a hanger fit not a direct fit. So who knows what I would have ended up getting if I'd ordered it. Mine is defiantly a hanger fit and not a direct fit. I'll purchase this one then if it fits onto a hanger.

Been new to Cycles, I'm just wondering if I will have to change the gear cable length, or cut the cable housing to a certain length? Thanks all..

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
the derailleur had been threaded while fastening it onto the derailleur hanger at some point. This has left the derailleur loose and I'm unable to remove it from the hanger.
The old rear derailleur may still be OK.
Not clear how the "the derailleur [can be] loose [but] unable to [be] remove[d]"
It'd be worth clamping the hanger in a vice and putting some force into unscrewing the RD; and then having a look at the threads. The hanger is aluminium. The RD bracket axle screw is steel (and is therefore less likely to be damaged).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The old rear derailleur may still be OK.
Not clear how the "the derailleur [can be] loose [but] unable to [be] remove[d]"
It'd be worth clamping the hanger in a vice and putting some force into unscrewing the RD; and then having a look at the threads. The hanger is aluminium. The RD bracket axle screw is steel (and is therefore less likely to be damaged).
If it's got one of these on

bike-derailleur-rear-mech-hanger-plate-bracket-with-nut-and-bolt-4081-1-p.jpg

They're steel, not Ally

Drago

Legendary Member
Acera mech should do the job. Inexpensive, but robust and well finsished. A touch weighty, but looking at the original mech I'm guessing you don't want to pay £150 for an XTR mech.

OP
OP
M

MBosh

I asked this question a bit further up the thread, but not sure if anyone saw it. I'm just wondering if I will have to cut the gear cable, or cut the cable housing to a certain length with it been a different derailleur? Cable length cutting wouldn't be a problem, but cable housing might be if I have to cuts that to a certain length. Thank You!

OP
OP
M

MBosh

Does anyone know the answer to whether or not I will need to cut cable housing? It's just it's not really worth buying the derailleur if I need to do this because I don't have the cutting tool and the Cycle was only cheap.. I don't want to spend much on doing it up because I may just as well get another Cycle if I spend to much.. Thank you!

Ajax Bay

Guru
I will have to cut the gear cable, or cut the cable housing to a certain length with it been a different derailleur? Cable length cutting wouldn't be a problem, but cable housing might be if I have to cuts that to a certain length. Thank You!
We'd need an image of the current setup. You'll very probably be able to reuse the bit of outer that runs from the cable stop on the chainstay to the RD, but if it was cut too short and the new RD requires 'more' then you need a longer bit. In any case it is sensible to renew that section of outer (every time one replaces a gear cable) as the cable has to bend more in that bit than any other part of the run, and it gets more dirt in both ends.
Your LBS will cut to correct length and sell you (cheaply) a section of outer cable.
But you're going to have to cut the gear cable and that tool should be able to cut the outer too. I use a cable cutter - like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-Expert-57768-Wire-Cutters/dp/B0001K9WXA/
See also this CC thread: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/decent-cable-cutters-for-a-good-price.139370/

Top Bottom