Need advice on upgrading 32T chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi all,

I am looking to upgrade my MTB from a 32T narrow wide chainring to a larger chainring to make my bike more user friendly for the street. I need more peddling power!:bicycle:

I was looking for a 40-42T narrow wide chainring with a 104 BCD. I can't seem to find anything larger than a 38T. Anyone else have this problem, or can you point me in the right direction please? I was hoping to get a brand similar to Race Face etc as opposed to a generic unknown brand.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi chaps,

I seem to have hit a stumbling block.

I have been looking for a 40-42T narrow wide chainring with a 104 BCD. I can't seem to find anything larger than a 38T. Anyone else have this problem, or can you point me in the right direction please? I was hoping to get a brand similar to Race Face etc as opposed to a generic unknown brand.

Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Hi @Cycleops

On the surface it may appear to be a similar question but it's not the same question.

Previous post was asking about the best chainring size to upgrade a MTB to (as I didn't know much about these). Now that I have understood the sizing I need for my cycling needs, it seems elusive to buy.

Question is if someone else has managed to find a 40-42 narrow wide chainring as it seems almost impossible to source from a known brand? :smile:

Ajax Bay

Guru
'Outlet' ones (same source) for only 25, choose any colour, provided it's red.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@figbat Ah thank you very much! I knew you chaps would have good sources for online ordering. The shops round West London are dried up. No responses online at all. Shops promise to call you back and leave you for a week.

Just ordered my chainring. Thanks again!

Gazjacko

@Gazjacko if you leave the forks locked out for extended periods of time is there any damage or harm to the fork etc? I am so stoked to have adjustable suspension for on a MTB, I didn't know they existed! I thought that was only on motorcycles. That is class innovation right there!
I make a point of unlocking and giving it a few bounces every now and then. Unfortunately I’ve never found a remote lockout lever/cable to fit but I’d go for one straight away if available. I run Maxxis 1.5 slicks quite hard and always found them to be ok around town. There again I still run my road bikes on 23mm pumped to the max so anything else seems soft and comfortable!

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@Gazjacko Ah thanks for the pro tip. I pumped up my air pressure in the front fork to 130psi and it feels sooo much better than when it was 100 psi. The bike has already transformed and is ready to pull.

I am running WTB Trail Boss tyres at 55 psi (well above recommended pressures). They are seriously beastly chunky. They have give me muscly quads and I get a good workout and I can handle them for 10-15 miles around London. I am looking to switch them out to something more road friendly when my 42T arrives. I cannot find the Maxxis 1.5 slicks you mentioned. What is the exact tyre name please?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you can't find those tyres Schwalbe Marathons are available everywhere at reasonable cost and should provide a comparable experience whilst providing good puncture resistance.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@Cycleops Thank you very much. Appreciate the recommendation. What bike do you ride? Do you have a pic you can share?

By the way, don't know if anyone has every told you this.. You remind me of Sean Connery!😄:okay::notworthy:

Top Bottom