Need advice on upgrading 32T chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'd observe that appraising the OP's (how shall I put it?) joie de vivre and inferring his riding style (NB 1x10 round town/urban), I think Marathons would just be so uncool (despite being a perfectly good tyre). Slick 650b tyres needed - 37-584.
Maybe Kojaks 34-584? @ 1.35": https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-kojak-slick-road-tyre-raceguard/rp-prod24794

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For those too young to remember Telly Savalas playing Kojak...

1591707501049.png

He had a slick head! :laugh:

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@Ajax Bay appreciate the recommendation thank you! :okay: Can I please ask what puncture resistance is like? As cyclists, how do we know which tyres are puncture resistant vs puncture susceptible? Do tyres come with puncture ratings?

Incidentally, what does the acronym "OP" stand for?

Cheers:becool:

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

@Ajax Bay Ahh thanks mate! I had to Google "joie de vivre" too! 😄:notworthy:

I have to say, I am not losing any speed against the average cyclist on my massive WTB Trail Bosse tyres. I am tearing it along London roads only stopping at traffic lights of course. The tyres do attract envious (flash git) and puzzling (how is he going so fast?!) looks though 😄:becool::music::boxing:

Attachments

• 20200610_140425.jpg
    20200610_140425.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200610_201123.jpg
    20200610_201123.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200610_201421.jpg
    20200610_201421.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

I replaced my front chainring and went from a 32T to a 38T. The 42T would have rubbed the chainstay. I'm actually quite proud of my handy work! It was a piece of cake. Thank you for the help. 😄😎👍🏼

Question:
Do I need a longer chain? I'd prefer to keep the chain as it's a brand new bike and the chain has only seen 100 or so dry miles, but not at the expense of damaging the derailleur.

I'm running an 11-42 cassette. Please see attached photos of the chain on the smallest cog and the largest cog. The bike was upside down when I took photos in case you're wondering! 🤷🏽‍♂️😀👍🏼

I had no difficulty in changing gears and no intention of using the lower gears. All my riding is whizzing around on flat ground and city streets so would only use the highest 3 gears.

Advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200615_171358.jpg
    20200615_171358.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200615_165927.jpg
    20200615_165927.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ColinJ

If you are never going to use the low gears then making sure the bike doesn't break if you accidentally select bottom gear is all you have to do, and it looks like you have already done that!

If you really are never going to use the low gears, when you come to replace the cassette buy one with a much narrower range of sprockets, say 11-28? It would probably be cheaper and you'd have smaller (nicer) steps between gears.

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Thanks @ColinJ and @Ajax Bay

When I put the chain on the lowest gear I nearly panicked thinking I'd over extended the derailleur as it looks very straight... I'm used to seeing an angle in it! 😃

My next item on the shopping list is new tyres and new cassette 11-28. I'm trying to remain economical and replace parts as they wear out. The chainring had to be swapped earlier as I needed more speed to terrorise the scooters. Just kidding. :bicycle:😉😁😎😀

Last edited:

ColinJ

When I put the chain on the lowest gear I nearly panicked thinking I'd over extended the derailleur as it looks very straight... I'm used to seeing an angle in it! 😃
Pah - look how far mine stretches! :laugh:

(I never deliberately use it in that gear. The derailleur is stretching too far but it it doesn't break and the noise it makes always reminds me if I accidentally select it when I am tired. The reason that it is so stretched is because I have managed to fit a triple chainset to the bike so the derailleur is having to wrap more chain than it is designed to. It works well though - no problems in thousands of miles of riding over 4 or 5 years!)

I needed more speed to terrorise the scooters. Just kidding. :bicycle:😉😁😎
I heard a noise coming up behind me as I returned home from today's ride. I looked over my shoulder and saw that it was a teenager on a high power electric scooter (the type you stand on, not one a bit like a motorbike). He soon overtook me even though I was doing 17-18 mph.

Top Bottom