New British Cycling CEO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like she's been dealing with the dinosaurs at the FA who are far worse, so BC should be a breeze!

si_c

Guru
Looks like she's been dealing with the dinosaurs at the FA who are far worse, so BC should be a breeze!
One can only hope. Hopefully this will improve the disparity between men's and women's Pro cycling in the UK, but I'm not holding my breath.

S-Express

Hopefully this will improve the disparity between men's and women's Pro cycling in the UK, but I'm not holding my breath.

Her gender isn't really relevant, but either way I don't see how 'being a woman' will help address this disparity in any way. Biggest challenge is getting more female riders through the youth ranks and then keeping hold of them after they turn 18 and find little in the way of opportunity for them.

si_c

Guru
Her gender isn't really relevant, but either way I don't see how 'being a woman' will help address this disparity in any way. Biggest challenge is getting more female riders through the youth ranks and then keeping hold of them after they turn 18 and find little in the way of opportunity for them.

In an ideal world her gender would be irrelevant, but as with most things the reality is that men give scant thought to the issues, let alone try to understand them.
I'm not going to pretend that I know the root causes of why women's cycling is less prominent than mens, but it certainly can't hurt that the CEO of the organisation at the forefront is no longer an old white man.

S-Express

but it certainly can't hurt that the CEO of the organisation at the forefront is no longer an old white man.

It wasn't an old white man before - unless you count 45 as 'old'. In which case, that makes Julie an 'old white woman' as she's 47.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Her gender isn't really relevant, but either way I don't see how 'being a woman' will help address this disparity in any way

Because as several female athletes have testified it's a very sexist organisation. A female CEO is less likely to tolerate that. The reason for the lack of opportunity you cite is that same sexism.

S-Express

Because as several female athletes have testified it's a very sexist organisation.

Testimony is not definitive, though. It's just testimony.

A female CEO is less likely to tolerate that. The reason for the lack of opportunity you cite is that same sexism.

It's not nearly as simple as that, unfortunately. It's not like she's the first woman ever employed at BC. Although if you're right, then we can all look forward to a burgeoning UK women's scene within the next few years.

I don't know her so I reserve judgement but the FA is not exactly the most progressive organisation and it's grass roots attempts are failing miserably as are the national team and Wembley is a great big white elephant.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Token appointment of a lass to head off possible cuts in government funding.

Good luck to Ms Harrington, take the money, why not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Token appointment of a lass to head off possible cuts in government funding.

Good luck to Ms Harrington, take the money, why not?
Yes, because they are the only two possible candidates: an unqualified woman or a man. It's completely impossible that they found a qualified woman for the job.

How is it that for centuries of limiting the top jobs to white men, no one has ever said "he only got the job because he's a man"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom