New Cannondale Slate..........a bit like Marmite I suspect.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't like lefties.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As someone who really likes the whole idea of a gravel/adventure/all-road/whateveryouwanttocallit bike, because he bought one, I have two principal thoughts about the Slate: I firmly get the concept, I applaud Cannondale for (again) coming up with something so different, I'm sure I'd have fun with one, but would I pick one over the many, many excellent 700C carbon/titanium/steel alternatives?…hmmm. No.

It clearly, from early test reports, works. The whole idea of going for 650B wheels was to allow for frisky road handling, thanks to the slightly lower diameter wheels & shorter rear chainstays, like a roadie on 700x23s, yet more grip off-road from 42c tyres. It is not, according to Cannondale, a gravel bike- the geometry was deliberately kept more aggressive than that, nor a cobblestone-killer - but a road bike that's good for gravel or off-road as well. Warren the C+ technical editor has persuaded Cannondale to let him hold on to their review bike for long-term test. His main change was to swop out the stock tyres (which multiple reviews say are too fragile for anything off-road). I quote: "…feels nigh-on road bike fast, but off road simply excels…taking out for a ride is like going back to being a kid again". Stuart Bowers of Cyclist: "I always came home grinning… just remember the reasons why we love to ride bikes in the first place: the simple enjoyment of getting into the great outdoors and riding wherever you like, just because you can". The Radavist: "the most fun I've had on a bike review"…and so on.

Main problem I have with it is the price. £2.5-3k for an aluminium frame (admittedly with the fork, but to an extent that will be compensating for the wheel size) when the aforementioned alternatives can be had for much less. Evans have an Ultegra build of my own Litespeed for slightly less than the Slate Ultegra. Genesis Datum in 105 build is £2099, GT Grade Carbon 105 currently £1750 at Wiggle, and so on. Most if not all of those bikes could be run with a 650B wheelset, even if they're not specifically designed for one, potentially allowing wider tyres for off-roading- the Open U.P., for example, can take 650B tyres up to 2.1 inches wide, as opposed to a max 700x40mm, which would negate any advantage the Slate has there. And it appears the Slate does not have clearance for wider rubber. I imagine you could go the other way and fit 700Cs on the Slate, but that would be missing the point completely, you might as well buy elsewhere.

Picking a bike like a T5G, Tripster ATR, Datum, U.P…, you can realistically say to yourself: 'Is it a road bike? Is it a commuter? A tourer/bikepacking bike? Cobblestone bike? Yes!'. Because it'll do all of those jobs well, if not superbly. As for this one…well…not so much.The Slate doesn't have rack or mudguard mounts (OK, so you can do clip-ons and bikepacking bags). Fit faster tyres for road use and you'll throw the off-road capability out of the window. Spiffy carbon wheels for the weekend? Yes, you can get them, but much less choice than 700C. You have a decent choice of 650B tyres, or a massive one in 700C. For cobblestones, I don't see how it's going to do better than my Litespeed does (they still hurt even on 700x35s!), let alone a Domane SLR. It deals with one set of compromises only to give you a whole different set. Great bike, a lot of fun, I'd like riding it…but I knew it was coming when I bought the T5G and I'd take that (or one of the equally good rivals) over a Slate for my own money.

Last edited:
For that price, I`d want both forks ;)

Jimidh

Veteran
One of my cycle club buddies has ordered one so will see it in the flesh soon - he rides a Cannonfale leftie MTB too so he is a hug advocate of them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't be too quick to dismiss gravel bikes as a fad.

A CX bike is too racy for the likes of me, but the more relaxed geometry of a gravel bike could suit.

To achieve something similar, one could buy a tourer, whip off the rack, mudguards and any other touring bits, then fit semi-knobbly tyres.

But not every prospective buyer wants to do that, or even grasps it's possible.

A gravel bike may be a niche bike, but I think the gravel/adventure style is a bit more than a fad.

Only time will tell.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Not a fad, definitely not new (Jobst Brandt and Tom Ritchey were riding road bikes on gravel decades ago), and the Slate isn't a gravel bike (at least according to Cannondale).

Top Bottom