New Cassette movement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Changed my cassette today from a 9 speed to 11-46t ms8 sunrace. After installation and tightening down the lock ring well, there is still slight movement in the cassette. Is that normal? The wheel bearings seem fine. I’m not sure what I can have done wrong. Any help appreciated.

Changed my cassette today from a 9 speed to 11-46t ms8 sunrace. After installation and tightening down the lock ring well, there is still slight movement in the cassette. Is that normal? The wheel bearings seem fine. I’m not sure what I can have done wrong. Any help appreciated.
The tolerances aren’t exactly the same from cassette to cassette. Make absolutely sure the lock ring is totally flat in the end of the freehub, it’s very easy to get a slight cross thread / lift up on one side of the lock ring. If that happens, you can’t tighten the lock ring down to 40Nm, and there will be a bit of wobble in the cassette. Clean the threads in the end of the freehub thoroughly, and grease the threads on the lock ring. Then apply even force with the palm of your hand, to locate the initial threads, and try and keep the tool level as you torque the ring up. If that doesn’t do the trick, you may need a spacer behind the largest sprocket, in the cassette.

OP
OP
roundisland
The tolerances aren’t exactly the same from cassette to cassette. Make absolutely sure the lock ring is totally flat in the end of the freehub, it’s very easy to get a slight cross thread / lift up on one side of the lock ring. If that happens, you can’t tighten the lock ring down to 40Nm, and there will be a bit of wobble in the cassette. Clean the threads in the end of the freehub thoroughly, and grease the threads on the lock ring. Then apply even force with the palm of your hand, to locate the initial threads, and try and keep the tool level as you torque the ring up. If that doesn’t do the trick, you may need a spacer behind the largest sprocket, in the cassette.
Thank you for all the useful information. Will try all you’ve suggested in the morning.

pawl

Legendary Member
Ive been guilty of missing a spacer between the cogs, without one the cassette will not fill the hub.

To avoid that problem as I take off the old cogs i lay them out in the work bench as a guide .

Sharky

Guru
My original cassette was a 9 speed. The new cassette is 11speed. 11-46t
Presume, you are changing the levers and chain as well?

I had a similar problem once with a new cassette. The lock ring it came with didn't tighten up fully. Tried with the old lock ring and everything was tight.

Hope you sort it.

OP
OP
roundisland
Took everything off and refitting it all as said by racing roadkill. Unfortunately there is still a bit of movement. Removed everything again and grabbed the hub and there is slight movement in that. I then replaced my old cassette and noticed there is a little play in that one also. So I can only think it’s the wheel hub. Can that be tightened up?

OP
OP
roundisland
Presume, you are changing the levers and chain as well?

I had a similar problem once with a new cassette. The lock ring it came with didn't tighten up fully. Tried with the old lock ring and everything was tight.

Hope you sort it.
Yes I’m changing bars , shifters, chain and derailleur. Hope that’s going to go without problems.

C R

Guru
Took everything off and refitting it all as said by racing roadkill. Unfortunately there is still a bit of movement. Removed everything again and grabbed the hub and there is slight movement in that. I then replaced my old cassette and noticed there is a little play in that one also. So I can only think it’s the wheel hub. Can that be tightened up?
So the cassettes don't rock in the freehub, the cassette/freehub assembly rock together as a unit?

Each freehub model is different, you will need to check which one you have to see if it can be adjusted and how to adjust it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I borrowed my cousin's bike on a holiday in Scotland. It felt ok for about 30 minutes but then I noticed that the cassette had come loose. I took it back and he realised that he had left a thin spacer off when fitting the cassette. I think it was a 10-speed Shimano cassette and it needed the spacer fitting before sliding the cassette on. That spacer was thick enough to allow the cassette to be locked in place properly.

There is an interesting article on the subject HERE.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
I borrowed my cousin's bike on a holiday in Scotland. It felt ok for about 30 minutes but then I noticed that the cassette had come loose. I took it back and he realised that he had left a thin spacer off when fitting the cassette. I think it was a 10-speed Shimano cassette and it needed the spacer fitting before sliding the cassette on. That spacer was thick enough to allow the cassette to be locked in place properly.

There is an interesting article on the subject HERE.
From reading that document I would think that if you had a 9 speed cassette that fit the freehub without spacer, then your new 11 speed cassette is likely to be too wide, and will not allow the lockring to engage properly with the freehub flange.

Top Bottom