New drill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's the old shape NiCad battery from years ago, they started phasing out the tools for this shape battery back in 2012. They've shown good commitment in supporting these batteries for so along after they ceased tool production for that range.
As previously stated the newer 18v (uk)/20v (us) lithium ion batteries will be around for the foreseeable future.

It shouldn't be that hard to take apart a battery pack and replace the cells, unless they are a totally defunct type. De walt etc will buy in generic actual cells within.

If changing type of cells it might get tricky
as the charger may not be compatible
and the total voltage will have to be close to the original design.

As an aside in the caving world it was common to build a dummy Bosch battery pack (out of wood) connecting via cable to an ammo can of hefty cells. You had to take care as the drill wasn't built to run continuously as they assumed you'd stop after flattening the battery (or two) rather than running it off something with 10x the capacity. Some folks added a fan to the drill robbed from the mains equivalent. Fans sap power so it made sense not to have them on an intermittent use item

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
It shouldn't be that hard to take apart a battery pack and replace the cells

Your could get the older dewalt nicad batteries apart easily to replace the batteries. The newer style li-ion batteries would be more difficult to get apart as they're all sealed. I've got some 4ah ones that are 12 years old & still holding good charge. Toolstation currently have an offer on a dewalt 18v drill with 2 x 2ah batteries for £110.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Your could get the older dewalt nicad batteries apart easily to replace the batteries. The newer style li-ion batteries would be more difficult to get apart as they're all sealed. I've got some 4ah ones that are 12 years old & still holding good charge. Toolstation currently have an offer on a dewalt 18v drill with 2 x 2ah batteries for £99

Assuming the packs are maybe £25 each of that, agree it's not really worth the bother

newts

Veteran

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have a Kielder Impact driver (for cars) and the portable angry grinder - my word, for battery devices they are incredibly powerful. My son hammers both machines. Bear in mind what battery fittings you commit to. Most of my tools are powered.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
You likely see good deals on DeWalt 18v stuff as they are doing away with those batteries and going 20v
So once the 18v battery is worn out ( many years ) you will only get copies off internet

Really ?! Aldi already do theirs in 20v . We have everything DeWalt except for a SDS , for that I just bring the 36v Hilti home from work :biggrin:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I used to have a Bosch combi drill but it was only 14.2V, fairly rubbish and the battery failed to take a charge after 2 years.

I've since had DeWalt brushless, it's an absolute beast. I don't know what everyone means about the hammer drill being poor; I've used mine to drill into solid concrete and brick and it's done it effortlessly (probably only a 5mm hole though). My Dad has also used his Dewalt for about 8 years, much harder life than mine and it's still going strong. It looks like it's been blown up and run over by 17 tanks, but still works fine. I'd go Dewalt all the way. With the 18v/20V battery situation, I'm sure it would only be an issue if your 18V ends up not working, and even then I expect there will be some new old stock floating around for a few years yet. My Dad's (as I said) is on 8 years and the battery shows no signs of giving up. Just keep it charged if it has extended periods of non-use

CXRAndy

Guru
I've got 2 older Bosch brushed 18V drills, been very reliable for home, general use.

I now have also Milwaukee 18V brush less drills, impact driver and beast of a drill SDS Max impact/drill.

Gwylan

Veteran
A vote for Makita.
Got fed up with cheap drills dieing after a couple of years.
Went for an 18v Makita drill, charger and 2 batteries.
Since then I've added Fakita ( Chinese) impact driver that uses the batteries.
Also a real Makita tyre pump that is fantastic for the car and the van. Can get consistent pressures and not wonder when the pump at a garage was last calibrated.
Have a real jigsaw and circular saw. Both excellent and enhanced the quality of my wood processing

Tenkaykev

Guru
A vote for Makita.
Got fed up with cheap drills dieing after a couple of years.
Went for an 18v Makita drill, charger and 2 batteries.
Since then I've added Fakita ( Chinese) impact driver that uses the batteries.
Also a real Makita tyre pump that is fantastic for the car and the van. Can get consistent pressures and not wonder when the pump at a garage was last calibrated.
Have a real jigsaw and circular saw. Both excellent and enhanced the quality of my wood processing

We used Makita tools at work, expensive boot excellent quality and durability.

Top Bottom