New FD front mech required.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
I have now stripped off my defective front mech (https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/what-have-you-fettled-today.87079/page-407)

It seems the receiver side of the clamp where the bolt screws into is stripped out, with all the threads being rotten and rusty.

Having removed the mech it all appears grotty worn with lots of rust on the steel bits and a sticky grumpy movement. So I have decided to stop faffing about and replace it.

It then occurred to me that in 20odd years of fixing my own I have never actually bought a FD.

I need a medium level FD suitable for an 8 speed triple with a 48t ring, bottom pull, clamp on type, shimano pull indexing, black would be nice.

Looking on the web most fd seem to be 9sp+can someone please point me in the right direction?

Shimano Claris or microshift which is compatible with all Shimano stuff.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Shimano Claris or microshift which is compatible with all Shimano stuff.

I am never sure how the various shimano ranges stack up, beyond that i think Deore is mid-range and usually stick with that. Isn't Claris bottom level bargain basement road going stuff? I was hoping to get more into mid range, likely from the MTB side of things given that by bike gets a bit of a rough life.

I think I have found a like for like replacement here

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/deraill...nal-swing-front-derailleur-multi-286318349mm/

Though mine is listed on the bike spec sheet as FD311 and i cant find a stamping on the actual item other than the CS angle.

Any thoughts on anything better? Im generally satisfied with the shifting, though its not perfect i think the clamping arrangements are poor and has lead to the original moving on more than one occasion.

Last edited:
Claris and Altus are like for like if I remember correctly with Claris been road focused and Altus MTB focused. Both should do the job nicely.

the snail

Guru
Road and mtb have different chainline, so it's best to stick with what's on there or you might find there's not enough travel to select all the rings. Also they come in top/bottom swing/pull. The model code is usually stamped on the mech somewhere (on the inside?).

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Done worry about the 8spd 9spd thing. Your FD has not got a fecking clue how many sprockets you have, it just needs to know whether you have 2 or 3 rings up front, and even then, it's your shifter rather than the mech that is key for that I think, the FD just moves where the shifter tells it to, within the limits of it limit screws.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Road and mtb have different chainline, so it's best to stick with what's on there or you might find there's not enough travel to select all the rings. Also they come in top/bottom swing/pull. The model code is usually stamped on the mech somewhere (on the inside?).

The bike has MTB setup so I'm guessing if anything it is going to have MTB setup. I have now tracked down the model number stamped on the back of my old mech, it is indeed FD M310.

Done worry about the 8spd 9spd thing. Your FD has not got a fecking clue how many sprockets you have, it just needs to know whether you have 2 or 3 rings up front, and even then, it's your shifter rather than the mech that is key for that I think, the FD just moves where the shifter tells it to, within the limits of it limit screws.

That figures, I'm just concerned about the fact that a 9spd chain would, I imagine, be narrower than an 8spd - theyre cerainly dearer. Would there not be an issue with rub at either end of the spectrum?

Top Bottom