What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've never had a jockey wheel 'seize' in 45yrs of riding derailleur equipped bikes,
It was rotating when pedalling, under leg power/chain tension
When freewheeling, the chain was slack
Back-pedalling, removing the tension caused the derailleur to travel on its return spring to full extent, leaving a large 'bow' of chain heading towards a rotating wheel

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It was rotating when pedalling, under leg power/chain tension
When freewheeling, the chain was slack
Back-pedalling, removing the tension caused the derailleur to travel on its return spring to full extent, leaving a large 'bow' of chain heading towards a rotating wheel
When I fit a rear mech (even a new one) I always pack them with grease, it stops grit from getting behind the 'shield' washers, likewise if I take the chain off I'll always clean and repack the jockey wheels but then generally I take apart at least 1 if not 2 bikes every year and re-build them.

Last year it was he old Ridgebacks turn.

DSCN0083.JPG

New bits, about £22 worth

DSCN0090.JPG

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Yet more cleaning and lubing of various bikes thanks to the current filthy state of the roads this winter. Also found the Voodoo had a puncture which needed fixing when getting it out of the shed for cleaning - thanks to a thorn through the sidewall at some point on Sunday's outing.

D

Deleted member 1258

A minor fettle for me tonight. When I was cleaning my fixed after Mondays ride I noticed free play in the front wheel bearings, sealed bearings so they need replacing, part of a Planet X wheelset I put on the bike just after I brought it, so they are almost three years old and have done just over 5000 miles, the bearings in the back wheel are still going strong . I've got an old front wheel in the shed thats been there for years, so I got that out, cleaned off the accumulated muck and rubbish, removed the locknuts and then popped the seals and greased the bearings. I then swapped over the tyre, tube and computer magnet and fitted it to my fixed so I can still ride whilst I sort out the knackered bearings on the Planet X wheel.

Shoved the bike in the shed after lubing the chain following today's monumentally wet commute. Need to wipe said chain tomorrow. Here endeth todays extensive fettle.
Almost what I did yesterday
Rode (the CGR) there in what seems like rivulets on the road, left it inside the changing-rooms
Rain stopped during the afternoon, bone-dry roads for journey home

Got home for 20:30, lubed the chain & jockey-wheels
Rolled it into one of the basement rooms, where it normally lives

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Got my computer working again in time for today's ride, adjusted the tension screw on a derailleur during said ride, and ripped off the little plastic disk that sits behind the chain after the ride. It had broken loose and started rattling something awful on the trail, I thought I'd broken something important! :rolleyes: Little things, but a big mug of tea.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My fettle today was to centralise the disc calliper on the rear wheel which was dragging a bit.

I could see the calliper realign itself after slackening the mounting bolts - the YouTube man said that might happen.

The bike has a Rohloff hub, which I suspect means the wheel will never spin as free as the front one, but it's a lot freer than it was.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Couple of jobs ticked off the list today, and added a couple more to the list as a result :rolleyes:

1st job was to return my GT Grade back to 'normal' spec after last weekends CX race. Quickly bolted the bottle cages on, then swapped the knobbly tyres for the smooth Randonneurs I normally run. While doing this I noticed it was a bit stiff when turning the cranks backwards. No roughness or grinding, just a lot of resistance. Dropped the chainset off to find the lefthand bearing had seized solid! Good job I decided to investigate or I might have ended up chewing the crank axle had I tried to ride. Some moisture must have got in during the horrendous CX race or the post race hose down (garden hose pointed carefully, not indiscriminate jetwash use!).
Now trawling the web trying to decide which bearings to order up for replacements.
Also took the opportunity to pop out the headset bearing units to run the Vernier calipers over them. Had them out a couple of weeks ago and regreased them then but need to order some up to have in as spares and wanted to double check the bearing sizes (mainly height as there are a couple of options).

Next job was the MTB headset which is as old as forever, a late 90s roller bearing unit which is still doing good work if serviced occasionally. The last few times the bike has been called into duty the headset has been slightly stuck and needed a quick articulation to free it off, after which everything was ok again. I knew it needed attention so while I was in the bearing mood got stuck in. A bit of a clean up and some fresh grease and it is now as good as, well, as good as a 20 something year old neglected headset that is packed full of fresh grease. Perfectly useable but not quite as good as new......

EDIT: Just remembered, also regreased and reset the bearing adjustment on my R/H XT SPD pedal on the Grade. It has felt a bit tight for a while and been meaning to take a look. Now running silky smooth and spinning freely. Has probably been a bit tight since new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom