What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Fitted new rear coil spring on my VW Touran. An almighty bang and instant 4 inch drop. Lucky it was in a car park, as I found the rubber mount, which is out of stock. Never experienced this, with an car I have owned. Weirdly, this is the newest and in best condition of them all.

Rapid changes in temperature this Winter are allegedly causing this issue for many locally, according to the parts guy. Just happy that they had one in stock locally.

Looked cool with serious drop going on. Not sure if it would have handled too great though. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Fitted new rear coil spring on my VW Touran. An almighty bang and instant 4 inch drop. Lucky it was in a car park, as I found the rubber mount, which is out of stock. Never experienced this, with an car I have owned. Weirdly, this is the newest and in best condition of them all.

Rapid changes in temperature this Winter are allegedly causing this issue for many locally, according to the parts guy. Just happy that they had one in stock locally.

Looked cool with serious drop going on. Not sure if it would have handled too great though. :smile:

Broken springs are a lot more common than they used to be. Not just on your make but on many out there.

Last edited:

bpsmith

Veteran
Good few areas of speed bumps and also potholes around here tbh. I am not into cars like I used to be, but I still look after them very carefully. I definitely don’t fly over the speed bumps and not aware of hitting any potholes.

As it happens, I have had a creaky noise that I hadn’t been able to track down for a while now. I honestly thought it was the rear wiper motor and was worse in colder weather. Been out in the car this evening and it appears to have gone.

Not holding my breath, but it would be worth the cost if it has. :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
In these parts it is pot holes, Lincolnshire highways I feel have lost the battle and the war when it comes to maintaining our roads.

Spring design can play a part.

Springs are no longer routinely 'siamesed' at the ends or double wound, making breakages more likely.

screenman

Legendary Member

I think the parts guy may not be an expert, compared with many other countries ours is a pretty consistent climste.

screenman

Legendary Member
Spring design can play a part.

Springs are no longer routinely 'siamesed' at the ends or double wound, making breakages more likely.

I agree, but I certainly know the state of our roads are not helping, I have another two wheels on the car that need straightening, the pot holes around here are at time unavoidable, yes I do report them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I agree, but I certainly know the state of our roads are not helping, I have another two wheels on the car that need straightening, the pot holes around here are at time unavoidable, yes I do report them.

I agree potholes and speed bumps must be the main cause.

I've heard several reports of cars popping springs at rest - after being parked for several hours or longer.

@bpsmith said his Touran's spring went in a car park.

A trader with a large used site told me it's not uncomon to hear a 'crack' from the lot.

I've no idea why this happens, perhaps you have with your trade experience.

screenman

Legendary Member
I agree potholes and speed bumps must be the main cause.

I've heard several reports of cars popping springs at rest - after being parked for several hours or longer.

@bpsmith said his Touran's spring went in a car park.

A trader with a large used site told me it's not uncomon to hear a 'crack' from the lot.

I've no idea why this happens, perhaps you have with your trade experience.

Product not fit for use, I would imagine. It is not something new to be happening though, I was replacing broken springs when I started in the trade 47 years ago.

bpsmith

Veteran
I think the parts guy may not be an expert, compared with many other countries ours is a pretty consistent climste.
I did think it was a little far fetched tbh.

The car was parked overnight right up against our garage, which is around the back of our house. There’s a coach house above, so is warmer than most garages. There was no frost on the back of the car at all, despite it being -2 degrees in the morning, and obviously colder overnight. My Wife’s car parked around the front, about 20 metres from nearest building and it was thick with frost.

I drove 9 miles to work, with icy roads and then parked at work. Car was there for 9 hours in the cold. Drove only 20 yards before the bang.

If the noise has definitely gone, then clearly there was a weakness and the parts guy’s explanation could explain the timing perhaps. I am not totally convinced it was the spring making the noise mind you, as could well have been something else that’s moved when the incident happened or when part replaced.

I am just glad that I didn’t do overtime and it happened at 8pm on the motorway heading home. Or on the motorway on our recent trip from Sout Wales to Birmingham!

Top Bottom