What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tom B

Guru
@Tom B sounds like a good day's fettling there!
Here's a link to one if you're interested:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-FC...MI-MSA5b3E2AIVLrHtCh3hGgU9EAQYASABEgJOufD_BwE

Funnily enough thats exactly the one I have in mind... I wonder why the 5mm shorter crank is almost £20 more?
I was initially put off by the bash guard, but actually it'll probably be no bad thing.

If it's a sunday best sort of bike, this looks nice, but a bit pricier: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p3/STRONGLIGHT-Impact-Triple

Definitely not Sunday best - more everyday mule. And its all over Black.

I did see a Tourney 8 speed knocking around somewhere but I believe that the Altus is a rung or two up quality wise.

Depending on BB width you should be able to get a 10 speed Deore to fit, I've got one on a 90s Raleigh 'Outlander' MTB running with a 7 on the back, the chainrings might be slightly thinner ( I don't think they are) but they won't be thicker so a 5-8 spd chain will run fine.

I was wondering about that too.

There are a few options of none OEM stuff made by /marketed by ETC/Suntour. I think a couple of other bikes that I use (but dont own) have some Suntour chainsets that dont give any bother (but have ugly ass bashrings), but for £28, the Shimano is a known quantity.

ChrisEyles

Guru
The Altus is far nice than it should be at that price, I'd buy it again for my tourer when the current one wears out.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Funnily enough thats exactly the one I have in mind... I wonder why the 5mm shorter crank is almost £20 more?
I was initially put off by the bash guard, but actually it'll probably be no bad thing.

Definitely not Sunday best - more everyday mule. And its all over Black.

I did see a Tourney 8 speed knocking around somewhere but I believe that the Altus is a rung or two up quality wise.

I was wondering about that too.

There are a few options of none OEM stuff made by /marketed by ETC/Suntour. I think a couple of other bikes that I use (but dont own) have some Suntour chainsets that dont give any bother (but have ugly ass bashrings), but for £28, the Shimano is a known quantity.
If you're happy to put up with the weight then that Altus will 'do the job' personally I prefer removable Aluminium rings to riveted steel ones but you get what you pay for.

Tried to get the front dynamo wheel set-up tubeless to no avail despite using the Schwalbe tubeless inflator.

Tyre pops-on but doesn't stay on when deflated so reckon it must be either the rim isn't properly tubeless(it is an older Halo rim) or the S-Ones are too old and been on and off wheels too often so the bead is too weak.

Tom B

Guru
If you're happy to put up with the weight then that Altus will 'do the job' personally I prefer removable Aluminium rings to riveted steel ones but you get what you pay for.

Hmmm I see your point. I think I'll have another reconsider. I'd replace it like for like if i could figure out what the original was!

si_c

Guru
Rage inducing fettles the last couple of days. Went to the in-laws over the holiday period, so the bike was shoved straight into the shed without cleaning. Came back after two weeks and everything had seized up, it needed a clean anyway so no problem. Front disc brake caliper the pads weren't returning, so I had problems fitting the wheel back in, so took it off and proceeded to clean.

Halfway through I heard a ping as the spring disappeared into space. Unfortunately I was doing this outside, after 4pm, on a Saturday. And the grass hasn't been mown since the beginning of september. One lost spring. One useless caliper. Ordered a replacement TRP spyre (read good things), which arrived today. Realised I needed a mounting bracket, so ordered that from Ribble. Then I looked closer at the old caliper, it's not a single piece, it has a mounting bracket.

Overall I'm £75 lighter in the pocket because Mrs C won't let me clean the bike in the kitchen (and I'm sticking to that).

Will fit the new caliper later, after eating more christmas cake.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Added bottle cage to my wife’s MTB. Not sure it’ll be used because due to the position of the bolts in proximity to the front fork, we need to buy the world’s smallest bidon. Found the smallest one at Halford’s which I’ll pick up once the mudguards for my son’s MTB arrive for click and collect.

So the smallest bidon from Halford’s is still too big. It’s interfering with the front forks. I remember seeing somewhere a bracket you can attach under the saddle which you can then add a bottle cage to. The wife’s MTB is a really cheap thing with full suspension and the frame is a PITA when it comes to bottle cages or mounting in a car bike rack.

I’ll look round for the bracket and see what I can find. I’ll probably find I imagined it. :whistle:

si_c

Guru
New disc caliper fitted, working nicely. The chain was looking very sorry so I got the spare out, but on closer inspection just the side plates have surface rust, it's not worn at all, so gave it a wipe down and plenty of lube, so working smoothly now. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Removed the forks from my mates bike (after he had a bike/wall interface) in preparation of replacements arriving ,courtesy of @DCLane ,

They are proper fecked.. IMG_1013 1.JPG IMG_1014 1.JPG IMG_1015 1.JPG IMG_1016.JPG

Top Bottom