What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for posting as I really enjoy viewing these sort of photos. I know I know as my wife says I really should get out more.

Tom B

Guru
Took my hybrid out yesterday for a quick crimbo thrash. Was jolly chuffed to find myself 13 out of 4000 on one if the local country roads. (I wondered why the cars were not passing me) on the way home I hurled up one of the local cobbled back street hills and somehoe the chain jammed in the front mech and the pedals locked solid. I managed to get it into grannies ring and staggered home. Of course at that point It started pouring down.

I managed to have a quick look at the issue and It seems the mechanism has dropped and rotated. I tried loosening and putting it back, this is not the first time that this has happened but when I tried to tightening up the pinch bolt the bolt started jumping on the thread and wouldn't clamp. So it appears its either going to need a new bolt or a new mech. I don't mind buying a new mech as this one is about20k miles old and is a Shimano elcheapo Altus M311.

So I need a medium level FD suitable for an 8 speed triple with a 48t ring, bottom pull..... Recommendations welcome

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
Given the above, Betty (hybrid) is out of action, today's ride had to be on Christine (mtb). Because I'm a bad Tom B I hadn't cleaned it the last time I put it away and the drivetrain was seriously filthy so much so there was a very dry squeal coming from one of the jockey wheels. I thus cleaned it, pumped up the suspension cans, fitted the new underseat mudguard, rode it, washed it, degreased it and dieseled the chain and found the spare brake pads. Tomorrow I'll re-lube, change the pads and scowl more at the FSA chainrings that don't actually seem to like having a chain on them and take every opportunity to ditch the chain.

Last edited:

kiwifruit

Über Member
Service a notchy Freehub. Back in September I got it service by an local LBS and it cost me £20 and the previous time was back in Feb and that was another £20. So I look at YouTube, brought a chain whip, cassette tool and mineral oil all cost less than £18. Took the cassette off, then the mavic free hub and it has quite a lot of gunk. Clean everything up put some mineral oil and reassemble everthing. As the cassette was off I also clean every socket before putting it back. Rotate nicely backwards now. All in all took me about 45mins.

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
It seems the bump that damaged my bike a few days ago was bigger than i remember and i have now found a flatspot in the back wheel too.

Today I stripped off the damaged front Mech.

Mrs Tomb says there is now an issue with the dishwasher....
2017-12-27 22.56.39.jpg

I see no issue..

Given the weather forecast I've cleaned up the spike tyre wheels and readied them for fitting tomorrow

mgs315

Stuck the new Garmin mount on and swapped the Edge 520’s base map for a better one. Then found my free wheel had got stiff for some reason (not ridden in a week since I’ve cleaned and re-lubed thanks to continuous 12-hour days at work) so used the chain whip to free that off. TBH they’re cheapo wheels that came with the Triban so not surprised.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Took both tyres off, drained the water out of the rims, inspected everything, replaced tyres with talc (thumb pressure only needed with talc to dry lube them) then started on the cassette and freehub. Stripped everything, cleaned up are re-lubricated the Mavic freehub with 3 in 1 oil:

20171224_181833.jpg

This is the very simple design of the Mavic freehub; you can see how it sits on a plain boss lubricated only by a thin film of oil. With insufficient maintenance there is direct contact between freehub and boss - you can see some scoring in the photo so it must have happened at some time with mine. You can also see the spiral ring machined inside the freehub, which is supposed to spread the oil around. There is a rubber seal, which goes in the hub at the bottom of the boss. The design is easy to strip and good in that the drive-side wheel bearing is well outboard giving good stability; that it's small doesn't seem to matter because it stays clean and dry so doesn't wear prematurely. However with poor maintenance the whole freehub setup reaches a point of sloppiness where it oscillates fast on the boss and you get the Mavic howl of death, which means it's time for new wheels. I tried a thicker engine oil but that created too much drag and the cassette was getting pulled around by the wheel when freewheeling, causing the chain to sag so I went back to the recommended 3 in 1 oil.

Like I said, a clever design for its light weight, simplicity and ease of maintenance but not neglect-proof like sealed Shimano freehubs. It needs to be stripped, cleaned and re-lubricated every 6 months. Buy Mavic wheels and you buy into a design philosophy, which some people don't like.

Last edited:
Top Bottom