What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yesterday fitted the Condor carbon forks to the Robinson,just have to re-route the hydraulic hoses through the fork leg.

Wednesday started re-building the front Archetype with a SP dynamo hub.

As mentioned upthread I was changing the damaged forks on my mates bike, well the forks arrived from @DCLane , after his bike /wall interface my mate said he appreciated that I had bought them but he had no trust in carbon.......no problem ...seeing as we have the same bike...my forks were fitted to his and I now have the carbon forks.. IMG_1021 1.JPG

Attempted to take the play out of the headset on the dump Indie 3. Everything very rusty, although cleaned up reasonably. Didn't achieve the slightest thing except to reroute a cable properly, and discover another that needs removing and rerouting. The first one I was able to do with the bars off, but the other needs complete rethink. One thing I noticed: this bike has no ordinary nuts/bolts OR Qr skewers fitted - will be back with photos and requests for advice!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've been setting my 13yo's race bike up for his first road race of 2018 next Saturday in the Woolly Mamil series. We fitted a replacement longer seatpost to his Cervelo S3 and new, lighter saddle. It's had new 3T Aeronova bars fitted with new bar tape, new chain and inner/outer cables.

We then did set-up work on position, reach, etc.

Edit: new GP4000s tyres and tubes fitted so it's ready to roll.

DSCF5247.JPG

The plan is for it to last him as long as possible this year, with a spare stem and full-length seatpost available if needed. Then he'll go onto my Neilpryde Nazare for the rest of the season once he grows too big for the S3.

Last edited:

burntoutbanger

Veteran
First time posting in here for a while. Picked up a rear wheel puncture on my single speed the other day, luckily I was home when I noticed it. As I would be moving the rear wheel and having noticed the chain was a little slack, I checked the chain for wear and yes it was time for replacement. Ordered a tube, chain-tool and chain which arrived yesterday.

Fixed the puncture first (managed to patch it so fingers crossed it should hold and save me a tube), replaced the tyre (rather nasty glass cut) with an old front tyre that still looks like it has plenty of life in it. Now to the chain, having never broke and rejoined a chain before I was a little apprehensive but needn't have been. The old chain came apart easily, although I did push the rivet out completely. Broke and rejoined the new chain keeping the rivet just about in the plate this time.

Did make the school boy error of rejoining the chain at the bench (kitchen sideboard) before putting it back on the bike, couldn't get it over the seat/chain stays so had to break and rejoin it once more. All back together now and a slight tweek of the rear brake and all seems fine, will take out for a short test ride later. Test ride withstanding quite pleased with myself, chain-tool and chain were cheaper than taking it to the shop too!

Nothing much, but annoying

After yesterdays sleet/snow/road-salt ride, but subsequently lubricated once home
I went out this morning, for a potter round (on the CGR). & the chain kept going slack, when I stopped pedalling
Back-pedalling was even worse

I cut it short, & headed home, dreading the chain going into the spokes, & snapping itself, or damaging the spokes

Was it links in the chain being overly stiff?
The Freehub sticking?

There was also a slight squeal too, as though the pads were rubbing on the disc

On arrival home. after getting changed, & putting it in the basement, and investigating, the solution was found

The lower jockey-wheel was seized
It was moving whilst pedalling, but trying to turn by hand was quite difficult
Only a 1/4 turn of an allen key was enough to free it off, but I took it off, & there was all sorts of detritus inside it
A soak in diesel, for a while has sorted it out

Now back on, & fine
I'll just have to reclean it later, & Loctite the bolt, or simply check it weekly

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nothing much, but annoying

After yesterdays sleet/snow/road-salt ride, but subsequently lubricated once home
I went out this morning, for a potter round (on the CGR). & the chain kept going slack, when I stopped pedalling
Back-pedalling was even worse

I cut it short, & headed home, dreading the chain going into the spokes, & snapping itself, or damaging the spokes

Was it links in the chain being overly stiff?
The Freehub sticking?

There was also a slight squeal too, as though the pads were rubbing on the disc

On arrival home. after getting changed, & putting it in the basement, and investigating, the solution was found

The lower jockey-wheel was seized
It was moving whilst pedalling, but trying to turn by hand was quite difficult
Only a 1/4 turn of an allen key was enough to free it off, but I took it off, & there was all sorts of detritus inside it
A soak in diesel, for a while has sorted it out

Now back on, & fine
I'll just have to reclean it later, & Loctite the bolt, or simply check it weekly
I'd have reassembled it with plenty of grease.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There's time yet to do it again this evening, but with a light smearing of grease:whistle:
I've never had a jockey wheel 'seize' in 45yrs of riding derailleur equipped bikes, I did however once replace them the wrong way up but luckily a fella at one of the bike shops diagnosed that (unlike another shop that told me I needed a new mech) To be fair though it was the first time I'd serviced an 'Index Capable' rear mech (New Shimano 105) in 88/89 or so.

si_c

Guru
Rear disc brake on the commuter has been sticking for a couple of weeks, mostly in the on position. I thought I'd fixed it, but I hadn't, so pulled off the caliper, cleaned it, replaced the return spring, still nothing, although the caliper returned properly when not connected to the cable. Tried pulling the cable myself, couldn't find any problems, but it had to be that. Replaced inner and outer, perfectly working brake.

Also trued up the rear wheel - the first wheel I'd built, and as you'd expect, a bit amateurish - now looking much better.

Edit: Also took the turbo bike off the trainer, the rear wheel hasn't been true since I last used it for commuting. Spokes were pretty nasty and corroded and the nipples were mostly stuck, so I just cut them and ordered some replacements. That'll be wheel build no. 4.

Top Bottom