What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
IMG_4322.jpg
Epoxy and a bit of black duct tape save the day :dance:
Ride tomorrow :bicycle:

kiwifruit

Über Member
Fitted a new 80mm stem on the Orbea, orginally the bike came with 110mm stem and I was overstretched, then change to a 90mm think am still a little overstretched. Just went round the block and test it and it feels much better, we'll see how it goes this afternoon for a longer ride if I got time.

D

Deleted member 1258

Minor fettle this morning, 107 mile last week so my usual weekly check, chain on my fixed has been checked, it didn't need adjusting, cleaned and lubed, tyres have been checked for debris, the front brake has been adjusted and the bikes been washed down.

si_c

Guru
Was getting some slippage on the big ring today as I turned it over, so checked it out earlier. I think it's a bit worn. Most of the ring is ok, but I can see a bit of shark toothing at the bottom of this picture. Ordered a new one, but won't be here till Wednesday at the earliest, so will just have to put up with it.

7vugHS0m71lfHgfFItILmK_QGqW8c2hx6bOseEVUF3xH9YXUk-nhruVsTjrHA98bm1P1oxbJO4fJVeyJJmc=w719-h958-no.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Was getting some slippage on the big ring today as I turned it over, so checked it out earlier. I think it's a bit worn. Most of the ring is ok, but I can see a bit of shark toothing at the bottom of this picture. Ordered a new one, but won't be here till Wednesday at the earliest, so will just have to put up with it.

View attachment 394713
Odd that it is so worn in just one spot. Even allowing for it being at the crank torque spot it is unusual for the big ring to wear so much and so unevenly.

Fitted the new bottom bracket bearings to my Grade last night. It was a doddle, they drifted in quite snugly using the old bearing outer as the drift to carefully tap them home in the Praxis adaptor. All silky smooth now and took it out for a 10 mile test run in the dark just to be sure. Now need to slightly adjust the trim as getting a little chainring rub in some gears and also a bit of rear brake disc rub when out of the saddle. Will reseat the back wheel before adjusting the caliper as it is unusual for the centreing to go out of it's own accord (However, anything is possible after the CX race I did when using the bike last. Did I mention it was 'ORRIBLE!)

Last edited:

mangid

Guru
Annoying squeak on the commute home last night. transmission related, took a look and noticed signs on the crank rubbing on the BB cup (hollowtech). Convinced myself it was this, so fitted a new BB, spun the pedals and still a squeak. Back to square one, tuned pedals slowly, and hey presto, slightly rusty chain link :-(. I do use a rather dryish lube (Fenwicks), and Saturdays ride had been a cold, moist ride, and even though I'd thought the chain would be okay, clearly not. Relubed, and a touch of Finish Line wet lube and squeak was gone this morning. Still the BB was a bit lumpy when I looked at it off the bike, was close to needing changing. New BB ordered to go in box of spares.

si_c

Guru
Odd that it is so worn in just one spot. Even allowing for it being at the crank torque spot it is unusual for the big ring to wear so much and so unevenly.

I know, the rest of the ring looks fine, it's just that small area, which is probably why I'd missed it. It's done under 10k km as well, so really wasn't expecting it to be worn, and I only really inspected it because I was getting chain slip, and it's a new cassette, chain and rear derailleur.

In hindsight, I'm thinking this is probably why I had a snapped derailleur hanger last week, but I thought it was the cassette as I'd just changed the chain.

Top Bottom