What Have You Fettled Today?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I recon I might have the same problem on my geared bike when I start using it again in the spring, I covered just over 3000 miles last summer so it will definitely need a new chain before I ride it, but the cassette is on its second chain and I might not get away with a third one.
There's a lot of variables but I was surprised once when I changed a chain only at 4,500 miles and it synced perfectly with the old cassette. You might get lucky

This time expected slip and replaced both but managed to get slippage anyway I suspect that the derailleur isn't springing back on small/small combos ☺

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some flat bar hydraulic disc brake fettling for me.

Both the levers on the rear brakes of my two bikes have to be 'pumped up' before every ride.

My theory is the longer hose run compared to the front gives more chance for air to get in.

I didn't fancy a full bleed, but decided to check the fluid reservoir level.

A simple operation on the Tektro Auriga brake, a bit more complicated on Shimano XT due to an extra plate and screw inside the reservoir above the diaphragm.

Both fluid levels were low, the Auriga was close to empty.

The brakes take mineral oil, which my Three-in-One copy brand bottle says it is, so that's what I used.

I did some 'burping' as well, although didn't see much in terms of air bubbles.

The levers now bite further out, so that's an improvement, and I did the job this morning so hopefully I won't have to pump the levers after the bikes have not been ridden for a few days.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Since getting a Spa Elan, I've really enjoyed the slightly more upright riding position given by its taller head tube so this morning I flipped the stem on my Ventus to do sometrhing similar as an experiment and I think I'll be keeping like that as it seemed to work. May try something similar on the second one used mostly for commuting & wet weather.

As a side effect of this, I found out that they're on 110mm stems, not 100mm as I thought, so I may source a cheap 100mm stem to try.

I managed to get the seized bottom bracket bearing out of my Scott Yecora by using a long bar with an extra bar slid over it to give it extra oomph. I also inverted the bike so it was resting on the saddle and bars so that the effort wouldn't be lost due to the tyres. To counter the force I was applying to the bar I asked my wife to stand on the bars.
With quite a bit of effort it started to move . It eventually loosened and I was able to remove it.
It was full of corrosion . I wire brushed and washed the corrosion out of the frame and applied some copper slip grease to the inside before fitting the new bearing.
I reassembled the front shifter with a new cable and after some adjustments I went for a test ride this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMGP6884.JPG
    IMGP6884.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 34

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Yesterday, I altered the angle on the RevoShifters so that I could do the same with the brake levers on my son’s bike. He couldn’t reach the brakes comfortably. Now he can ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Replaced the rear mech on my RT-58 with a second hand long cage one from ebay. Previous owner had mullered the cable adjuster thread so I re-tapped that, re-tensioned the spring and it's all good. I suspect an off as it has some nice scratches. Along with this was a new 11-32 cassette to give me an extra climbing gear and a new chain also.
The Boardman CX freewheel has been 'skipping' for a while now, and since the hub is special in so much as I cannot get a new freehub, I fitted a new back wheel, one of a pair bought from a fellow CC'er. New chain and tyre at the same time. Going to have to change the front wheel soon too as the spokes are a different colour to the back ones....

si_c

Guru
Deep cleaned the commuter, replaced the front big ring (got the right sized ring now!) and adjusted the cable tension a tad on the RD after changing the limit screws the other day.

Also dropped the FD down about 4mm, as it was too high (possibly explains the occaisional dropped chains I've been getting), and tightened up the front mudguard, so the number of rattles has dropped a bit. All good so far.

si_c

Guru
Moved my seat up about 3mm.
Left work and felt much faster already. Only token about 3 months to find the correct height.
Ha!

I've been adjusting mine for a year nearly. I move it a quarter cm then wait 3 months, then do the same. Trying to slowly dial things in. Takes a while.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Got the knockabout bike out late yesterday afternoon for my first ride in a couple of weeks only to find a flat front tyre and the brakes wouldn't release.

Fixed the puncture yesterday which took a while as I struggled to find what had caused it (turned out to be just a fragment of a thorn) and by then I'd missed the window of opportunity to start the ride I had in mind so I cleaned the bike instead and had a look at the brakes. Tinkering didn't help so I came back to it today to strip and regrease the pivots and replace the rear pads.

The rear pivots weren't too bad but the fronts were quite messy and showed the bike has had a hard winter. All is well again now though.:okay:

Top Bottom