New helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jayler

I need a new lid. I ride on and off road and really need one that help ventilation.

I am looking at a Giro Athlon. Any one got one or can any one recommend anything?

(please can this not deterioate into a helmet pro/cons debate. There enough of those already.)

corshamjim

I'd say most important is to get one with a good fit - so I recommend you visit a shop or two and try some on for size.

ACS

Legendary Member
I have a Bell Volt. Light, excellent ventilation, numerous adjustment option for the best fit but value for money at £100+ No.

If you can get one around £65 then Yes.

Look at the standards....

EN1078 is what is required in the UK, but is so weak as to be virtually useless. EN1078 helmets are not useable in any organised events in the US as they offer too little protection.

CPSC, ANSI are better, but if you really want protection look at helmets with the Snell certification. Widely regarded as the toughest of helmet standards and if you are looking for protection, why compromise the decision by buying a helmet that won't do the job?

OP
OP
The Jayler

The Jayler

Any good? Full face protection! And (apparently) "outstanding ventilation" :whistle:

http://americanfootb.../images/x-1.jpg :whistle:

I'll get me coat then ...

Tried one of those but just like the pilot in 'airplane', had a drinking problem with it.

I wasn't aware of the standards for helmet regulation. I think Spec lids are snell certified so may have a look at those.

Cheers for the other ideas guys, i'll take a butchers.

Look at the standards....

EN1078 is what is required in the UK, but is so weak as to be virtually useless. EN1078 helmets are not useable in any organised events in the US as they offer too little protection.

CPSC, ANSI are better, but if you really want protection look at helmets with the Snell certification. Widely regarded as the toughest of helmet standards and if you are looking for protection, why compromise the decision by buying a helmet that won't do the job?

Trouble is EN1078 is about all that is available in the UK. You can try for a Snell (I think Specialized are the only people offering them) but other than Specialized, you might find them impossible to find.

You could take the other approach and on the basis they have not been shown to make a protection difference, just go for one that is comfortable or looks cool or whatever other criteria you fancy

Garz

Squat Member
I am in a similar situation myself having had my first road helmet two years now seeing lots of sweating and various conditions. I have been waiting for some to be on special offers on the popular websites but they seem to not come round when you want them.

I tried on a specialized lid in evans and wasn't too impressed. The ratchet/adjuster system seemed rather flimsy. I guess you need to try them on though as some just don't fit certain head shapes.

Interesting about the Snell certification, damn more food for thought!

Does it definitely meet the Snell requirements because all the Specialized descriptions just say meets at least one of the following which is not particularly helpful

Mark_Robson

According to Specialized the Echelon meets the Snell standard.

Nice Specialized Man said:
Thank you for your email regarding our Helmets.

I can confirm that the following Helmets meet the Snell B90A standard, as well as CPSC, CE and AS/NZS standards:

S-Works Prevail
S-Works
Vice
Propero
Tactic
Echelon
Align
Max
Street Smart
Sierra (Desgin4Women)
Flash (Youth)

Our Small Fry helmet is split into 2 different classes – Child & Toddler – Child meets B90A and Toddler meets B90C standards.

The Deviant (full face) meet Snell B95, CPSC, CE and ASTM 1952 standards.

I would also like to point out that Specialized are the only helmet manufacturer that are able to sell the same helmet globally as we conform to each territories own safety specifications.

Hopefully this helps and if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Regards,

Dave

David Gridley
Account Manager
for the South West & Wales
Specialized (UK) Limited

Top Bottom