New job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Most excellent news Col, most excellent. Sounds like somebody is about to have a truly motivated employee on their team...they must be thanking their luck!
Be magnificent Col...(I'm sure you will)!
Well played. FF->.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
Most excellent news Col, most excellent. Sounds like somebody is about to have a truly motivated employee on their team...they must be thanking their luck!
Be magnificent Col...(I'm sure you will)!
Well played. FF->.

Ta FF,ill do my best;)

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I am hoping that the success of Col and Arch might traverse through the internet and reach me. There was a job advertised on the local County Council's website today. Part- time --yes please, 16 hours a week, which is 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, in the local Library, (twenty mins walk away). It is temporary until end of June, pending a county-wide Library review.

Is it to my advantage that I am not working at the moment? No-one is going to give up a job for four months work, and most people looking for a job would, I imagine, want more than three or months work. (The interview is not until 5th March). The relative quiet in the Library would suit me. For two months before Christmas I was selling Charity Christmas Cards in the Library and met most of the staff there. If they only needed me for the four months, would that be sufficient time for them to give me a reference for any future employment? For the purposes of this job, I think I would be able to get a reference from the place where I have been a Volunteer for the past twelve months.

It would at least be a start back into employment, and has the advantages of being within a large organisation.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
I am hoping that the success of Col and Arch might traverse through the internet and reach me. There was a job advertised on the local County Council's website today. Part- time --yes please, 16 hours a week, which is 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, in the local Library, (twenty mins walk away). It is temporary until end of June, pending a county-wide Library review.

Is it to my advantage that I am not working at the moment? No-one is going to give up a job for four months work, and most people looking for a job would, I imagine, want more than three or months work. (The interview is not until 5th March). The relative quiet in the Library would suit me. For two months before Christmas I was selling Charity Christmas Cards in the Library and met most of the staff there. If they only needed me for the four months, would that be sufficient time for them to give me a reference for any future employment? For the purposes of this job, I think I would be able to get a reference from the place where I have been a Volunteer for the past twelve months.

Good luck with it S,and four months is plenty of time to get a reference from them,and volunteering for other things goes down well with possible employers i think,as it shows willing.Im sure you will do well.:biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Well,iv got everything i need sorted ready for tomorrow,passport,birth certificate,NI number,and bank details,iv also got a notebook,just in case,and a couple of passport sized photos(cheers maggot)Now all i need to do ,is go to bed,but im too excited:biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you for your encouragement Col and The Doctor. It might seem strange to be applying for a job when I am not fully fit, but I need to look on the positive side, that I will improve soon. I would like to get a part-time job near to home, so do not want to miss the opportunity of at least trying.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Speicher said:
Thank you for your encouragement Col and The Doctor. It might seem strange to be applying for a job when I am not fully fit, but I need to look on the positive side, that I will improve soon. I would like to get a part-time job near to home, so do not want to miss the opportunity of at least trying.

I dont think being fully fit comes into it?Now if you were applying to be part of mountain rescue,it might,;)So go for it,as long as your capable of doing the job,i cant see a problem,there are loads of other things employers look for,the one your not 100% with at the moment,i doubt will be a problem.:biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Iv got two of my three induction days out of the way now,but i still have a full day left.Now iv not lost any work time yet,but this time im going to have to.There is no way im not going to do it,but i forsee problems,as they refuse liue days all the time,even ones that are put in weeks before they want them,the company comes back two days before its due,and say no.So with me not having any liue days left,can see there being problems.
My question is,is there some rules or laws,which say that a company cant get obstuctive,and must let an employee go to interviews or training days,when they are looking for other employment,or am i on my own?Im hoping someone here might be able to give me something to point out,to an over zealous supervisor.:ohmy:

ChrisKH

Guru
col said:
Iv got two of my three induction days out of the way now,but i still have a full day left.Now iv not lost any work time yet,but this time im going to have to.There is no way im not going to do it,but i forsee problems,as they refuse liue days all the time,even ones that are put in weeks before they want them,the company comes back two days before its due,and say no.So with me not having any liue days left,can see there being problems.
My question is,is there some rules or laws,which say that a company cant get obstuctive,and must let an employee go to interviews or training days,when they are looking for other employment,or am i on my own?Im hoping someone here might be able to give me something to point out,to an over zealous supervisor.:ohmy:

I presume they know you are leaving? If you are leaving voluntarily then you're on your own I would have thought, howver it would be unreasonable not to give you unpaid time off given your obligation to complete induction days. They can't not allow you the time off if it's unpaid and it's just one day after all. I would just ask for the time off and if they said no, I'd take it anyway. I can't believe they would say no.

The alternative would be just to go sick.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Iv kept them informed all the way along,one suprvisor was very helpfull,but another was very awkward.What i didnt want ,was a bad finish,if you know what i mean,i wanted to do everything right,and end on a good note,but there is a strong possibility,that i might be told,"we cant spare you" as in short staffed.I had thought of going sick,but after keeping them in the picture,it would be obvious.
I was just hoping there was something that i could fall back on,if it did get awkward.

ChrisKH

Guru
col said:
Iv kept them informed all the way along,one suprvisor was very helpfull,but another was very awkward.What i didnt want ,was a bad finish,if you know what i mean,i wanted to do everything right,and end on a good note,but there is a strong possibility,that i might be told,"we cant spare you" as in short staffed.I had thought of going sick,but after keeping them in the picture,it would be obvious.
I was just hoping there was something that i could fall back on,if it did get awkward.

I think that's commendable - does your company have it's own HR department? If so I would consult with them and just tell them the facts and say you want to be fair to all sides and don't want to let the company down before you leave but you must take one day off for training purposes. I think that's more than reasonable.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
I think that's commendable - does your company have it's own HR department? If so I would consult with them and just tell them the facts and say you want to be fair to all sides and don't want to let the company down before you leave but you must take one day off for training purposes. I think that's more than reasonable.

Not as such,but i think a similar approach is what ill do with the manager,if he is still there,or the supervisor if not.
As you may have guessed,its not the best company in the world for worker care,and most of the guys i work with,are looking for other jobs,the only ones who are not,are the long timers,who say its too late for them,as they retire soon.
Thanks for the replies:smile:

Top Bottom