New job?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The only thing may be to take unpaid leave - are you moving within the NHS, or back into it. Your employer has no obligation to allow you time off for interviews etc unless you are in a redundancy situation.

Most companies would make your life very difficult if they knew you were leaving - you must be in a fairly reasonable one at the moment for them to be OK - talk to your boss, and if needed take a day unpaid - OK you will loose money, but it's a one off - I lost 3 weeks pay last year through moving jobs twice (in one I only lasted 6 weeks - it was shocking)

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
The only thing may be to take unpaid leave - are you moving within the NHS, or back into it. Your employer has no obligation to allow you time off for interviews etc unless you are in a redundancy situation.

Most companies would make your life very difficult if they knew you were leaving - you must be in a fairly reasonable one at the moment for them to be OK - talk to your boss, and if needed take a day unpaid - OK you will loose money, but it's a one off - I lost 3 weeks pay last year through moving jobs twice (in one I only lasted 6 weeks - it was shocking)

Thats what im after,just an unpaid day.Looks like i have nothing to help in the legal department,so ill just have to let them know.
Im moving back into the NHS,from a private company.

domtyler

Über Member
col said:
Thats what im after,just an unpaid day.Looks like i have nothing to help in the legal department,so ill just have to let them know.
Im moving back into the NHS,from a private company.

Do yourself a favour and save a load of grief. TAKE A SICKIE.

I know it is morally wrong but believe me the alternatives are likely to leave you feeling a hell of a lot worse.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
Do yourself a favour and save a load of grief. TAKE A SICKIE.

I know it is morally wrong but believe me the alternatives are likely to leave you feeling a hell of a lot worse.

Your probably right:smile:

fossyant

Just tell them you are taking an unpaid day - not much they can do - so long as they have notice.....what if some family emergency came up - you'd have to do the same.

We all worry to much about how this affects our references etc - most employers couldn't give a hoot. I got sick of one well paid job because of hours etc, and left to go to another that paid considerably less but promised more flexibility - well it didn't and was worse, so one Friday after six weeks, phoned my boss and said that's it I'm off...and left. Should have given them a week, but I just walked. Went temp'ing for a couple of months, then landed a permanent role with steady hours, lots of holidays and good ethics..

Stuff 'em, tell them you need the day off, you've got nothing on at work that won't wait for a day....not as though they can sack you !

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
fossyant said:
Just tell them you are taking an unpaid day - not much they can do - so long as they have notice.....what if some family emergency came up - you'd have to do the same.

We all worry to much about how this affects our references etc - most employers couldn't give a hoot. I got sick of one well paid job because of hours etc, and left to go to another that paid considerably less but promised more flexibility - well it didn't and was worse, so one Friday after six weeks, phoned my boss and said that's it I'm off...and left. Should have given them a week, but I just walked. Went temp'ing for a couple of months, then landed a permanent role with steady hours, lots of holidays and good ethics..

Stuff 'em, tell them you need the day off, you've got nothing on at work that won't wait for a day....not as though they can sack you !

good point,cheers.

domtyler

Über Member
fossyant said:

As he is a bus driver I can't really see him getting away with saying that he has nothing important on. Col's boss could easily turn around and decline his request leaving him stuffed. There is only one way to be sure of getting the day off and that is to take a sickie.

fossyant

Sorry hadn't realised he was a bus driver so will have things scheduled..... well sickie it is, so long as they don't yet know what day you are requesting....if they do...bugger it anyway....its not as though your current role has any impact on your new job role is it ?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Hi Col,

Just caught the thread too, many congratulations! I'm starting to look for a new job myself - not that the current one's atrocious, but I can't see myself progressing or fulfilling my potential here...

User76 said:
About 8 of us in the room, first question, can we have your passport photos? None of us had passport photos as they were not on the list of things to bring. "Oh, we thought it would be obvious you had to bring photos" came the reply:rolleyes:

User76 - I thought you worked in the psychiatric field, not the psychic one?
:biggrin:

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Cheers guys,but i told the manager i needed the day tomorrow,and explained why,he said id missed the 24 hours notice needed for unpaid leave,so he would have to follow disciplinary procedures,if i took it off.So i explained that i couldnt not be there,and i would probably be handing my notice in,in a couple of weeks,he just said thanks for letting me know.;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh well, I guess you had to tell them sometime! Hope it goes well.

Early days yet, but a certain Time Lord of this parish has an interview at Astrium on Wednesday. They make satellites and such like.
*hopes to get a job working with dilithium crystals.*

Speicher

Vice Admiral
TheDoctor said:
Oh well, I guess you had to tell them sometime! Hope it goes well.

Early days yet, but a certain Time Lord of this parish has an interview at Astrium on Wednesday. They make satellites and such like.
*hopes to get a job working with dilithium crystals.*

I worked with Satellites once. In the days when to record foreign programmes you had to put in the co-ordinates for the direction you wanted to receive from. It was said that I could use a screw-driver in French, Spanish and German. xx( Bestest, most interesting job. Record the foreign news programmes and then devise questions for the students to answer, to save the tutors valuable time. Stand in for the tutors if they were off at short notice. (My colleague did the Russian and Italian). And do word-processing in those languages.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did something vaguely like that - it was testing the gain characteristics and calibrating the dish positioners. Since we knew where we were, and where the satellite in question was, we could then correct the azimuth and elevation settings on the dish controller. Not a bad job, but a god-awful commute. I was glad when I got redundancy, especially since I was going to resign within a week anyway. Ker-ching!

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Good news,i had an interview for a job on a ward,and out of sixteen people to be interviewed today,only nine turned up,and i was the last,they offered me the job,so ill be starting there as soon as my police check gets back(still waiting)

;)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
col said:
Good news,i had an interview for a job on a ward,and out of sixteen people to be interviewed today,only nine turned up,and i was the last,they offered me the job,so ill be starting there as soon as my police check gets back(still waiting)

:smile:

Yabba Dabba Dooooooo

Well done Col, pleased for you.
Onwards and Upwards now eh?
;)

Top Bottom