New shoes and pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
You might, but then again you might not!

What did you get?

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
A pair of reduced Specialized Cadet MTB shoes and clipless Shimano M520 SPD pedals. Cost me less than 60 quid for all that, which I thought was pretty good.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I went clipless a couple of weeks ago, done 3 rides so far and no major problems (not being complacent though), I just consciously think of my feet being locked in, but I can feel them being pulled into the pedals anyway.

I went for SPD SL type and the main problem is when restarting from stationary, flipping the pedal over to clip my left foot back in. From what I have read, your MTB ones will be double sided so you shouldn't have that problem.

Good luck - I am just about to go out for my 4th clipless ride, hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
A rule of thumb that works for me is when coming to a stop I release one shoe as I am slowing to stop. This at least gives me the option of dismounting if I am about to fall (or just putting the unclipped shoe on the ground). The times I almost fell were always with both shoes clipped in.

vickster

Legendary Member
Loosen the tension off on the pedals...and make sure the cleats are very tightly screwed on (my only clipless moment was new shoes, cleats not tight enough, couldn't pull foot away :shy: )

Practice at home first, learn which foot you'll naturally unclip (me, the left, others the right)

Poppyman

Regular
I went clipless a couple of weeks ago, done 3 rides so far and no major problems (not being complacent though), I just consciously think of my feet being locked in, but I can feel them being pulled into the pedals anyway.

I went for SPD SL type and the main problem is when restarting from stationary, flipping the pedal over to clip my left foot back in. From what I have read, your MTB ones will be double sided so you shouldn't have that problem.

Good luck - I am just about to go out for my 4th clipless ride, hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.

I have the same problem with the pedal flipping especially when trying to get over a busy junction. I do try to plan a route not to arrive at that junction but it's the only way near my house to the countryside. Being new to these kind of shoes i practice a lot un-clipping and clipping-in on quiet country roads.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the same problem with the pedal flipping especially when trying to get over a busy junction. I do try to plan a route not to arrive at that junction but it's the only way near my house to the countryside. Being new to these kind of shoes i practice a lot un-clipping and clipping-in on quiet country roads.
I might clear a junction without clipping in, it's easy enough to pedal short distances unclipped on one side (at least on M520s with an MTB shoes, not so short with an SPD-CL and a smooth carbon sole)

I don't get on with single sided pedals, M520s for me on all the bikes I ride often)

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Thanks, yes the MTB pedals should be easier hopefully.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've managed 3 clipless moments, the first after forgetting I was clipped in, the other 2 from leaning the wrong way. On the plus side only 2 of them happened with lots of people around....

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I've managed 3 clipless moments, the first after forgetting I was clipped in, the other 2 from leaning the wrong way. On the plus side only 2 of them happened with lots of people around....
I think I'd rather fall over with people around, lots of people to help if I hurt myself!

Top Bottom