New shoes and pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Well just been doing my first riding on clipless pedals. I haven't fallen off yet, though I did have one 'clipless moment' where I only just unclipped in time before I fell over. One thing I noticed is that my right foot is harder to unclip than my left foot, even though the release tension on both pedals is about the same. I was impressed how much faster I could go uphill.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Well just been doing my first riding on clipless pedals. I haven't fallen off yet, though I did have one 'clipless moment' where I only just unclipped in time before I fell over. One thing I noticed is that my right foot is harder to unclip than my left foot, even though the release tension on both pedals is about the same. I was impressed how much faster I could go uphill.
The right foot has been more of an issue with me too. Rather that if any as it's less dangerous because with most people their left foot will be on the ground before they unclip their right. For some reason I always remember to unclip my left foot before stopping but when I go to dismount, I forget my right foot is clipped in and look a bit daft as I try to bring my leg over the seat.

Well I came into a bit of dosh by selling something ,no not my sole but a few bit and pieces of old kit and splashed out on some Girio empire carbon shoes at a give way price and some Time espresso carbon 10 SPD-SL pedals (as have been riding SPD till now) needless to say the shoes didn't fit, thats the only problem getting stuff on line well one fitted and the other pinched across the toes as since we all have slightly miss matched feet Plus the shoes were bright red And my other half said I looked like a clown! So what I don't care. So now am after some lace ups with wide fitting for around £100 to £130.00 carbon soled any thoughts anyone included some pics of shoes and time pedals for your interest

Attachments

• Giro Empire SLX road shoes.jpg
    Giro Empire SLX road shoes.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 11582367-1074528411585536.jpg
    11582367-1074528411585536.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 38

Ajax Bay

Guru
The times I almost fell were always with both shoes clipped in.
The (3, I think) times I have fallen over (zero speed) were always with one shoe clipped in: the one which ended up underneath. All unobserved sfaik. All after at least 100 miles that day.

Last edited:
Hello Vickster It may be me if fact it probably is but I can't seem to find any guide to sizing on the web page of the two more expensive ones I normally take a 47 in Shimano shoe. will look into Northwave and Gaerne shoes though but on looking fear perhaps I will go for the Shimano RP9

nickAKA

Über Member
Hello Vickster It may be me if fact it probably is but I can't seem to find any guide to sizing on the web page of the two more expensive ones I normally take a 47 in Shimano shoe. will look into Northwave and Gaerne shoes though but on looking fear perhaps I will go for the Shimano RP9

I've found northwave sizing to be a bit more realistic than most other road shoes I've tried; always took the advice to go half a size up prior to my current shoes which are 'roomy' but comfortable.

I've found northwave sizing to be a bit more realistic than most other road shoes I've tried; always took the advice to go half a size up prior to my current shoes which are 'roomy' but comfortable.
I’ve just bought a pair of Northwave winter road boots. The sizing is on the large side. I’ve come from a pair of size 44 Specialized Defrosters, the Northwaves are ‘generous’ fitting. I’ll need the thick thermal socks to stop my feet moving around.

nickAKA

Über Member
I’ve just bought a pair of Northwave winter road boots. The sizing is on the large side. I’ve come from a pair of size 44 Specialized Defrosters, the Northwaves are ‘generous’ fitting. I’ll need the thick thermal socks to stop my feet moving around.

Same, thicker socks which is fine when it's cold. See how I get on if/when it warms up a bit...

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to some shops

Top Bottom