New Tag Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
... so it's kind of a nice way of supporting small business.

Indeed. CycleChat threads are picked up very quickly by Google, so if you wanted to "Big-up!" your LBS you could start a thread in the reviews forum with the shop name in the title and a glowing review of the great service you've received there ... perhaps something along the lines of: Shopping for a new bike in Sheffield? Try Tony Butterworth Cycles - excellent service every time!! (if, in your experience, this is true!)

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/shopping-and-reviews.68/ :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dogs, sheep, horses?

Or perhaps just 'animals'?

(As in - the perils of cycling near the creatures - lots of them round here with Kamikaze instincts and an apparent desire to take cyclists with them!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Dogs, sheep, horses?

Or perhaps just 'animals'?

(As in - the perils of cycling near the creatures - lots of them round here with Kamikaze instincts and an apparent desire to take cyclists with them!)
Perhaps something like 'animals and bikes' - to avoid all the 'look at my cute puppy' threads in the cafe being given the same tag?

done

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Ask @Shaun if you like - but lots of folks post about Wiggle (good or bad) so it seemed sensible to have a tag for them. Who (other than you) is going to search for a tag with the name of your local bike shop?
I get that every LBS can't have their own tag but I think this answer is a tad harsh. People do come on asking for recommendations for local areas or 'anyone in.....' Type questions. I have a personal ranking of the LBS's in my locality that may be relevant or helpful to people visiting or new to the area.

Agreed it would be tremendously niche and impractical to tag every LBS but this is where CC is so much better than Google for tapping into that local knowledge and experience or wandering into a shop and hoping for the best.

Edit: just.read the rest of the thread, fair play @Shaun.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I get that every LBS can't have their own tag but I think this answer is a tad harsh. People do come on asking for recommendations for local areas or 'anyone in.....' Type questions. I have a personal ranking of the LBS's in my locality that may be relevant or helpful to people visiting or new to the area.

Agreed it would be tremendously niche and impractical to tag every LBS but this is where CC is so much better than Google for tapping into that local knowledge and experience or wandering into a shop and hoping for the best.
See Shaun's reply #34 above...

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Why light and lighting, as opposed to just 'lights' for example?

I've created lights - if you want those others as well, persuade me!
(we don't want too many similar tags, or they lose their purpose).

Thanks, of the 2 lights wins as 'what lights' a more regular question but my thinking on lighting too : people can also refer to e.g. dynamo lighting or lighting system / set up & often in recommending such rather than asking the question, I think, although similar, they would widen peoples options if seeking an all round view to a what light question & do hit a different target.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Thanks, of the 2 lights wins as 'what lights' a more regular question but my thinking on lighting too : people can also refer to e.g. dynamo lighting or lighting system / set up & often in recommending such rather than asking the question, I think, although similar, they would widen peoples options if seeking an all round view to a what light question & do hit a different target.
I'm possibly being a bit thick here, but I'm not sure if you agree with just creating the one tag 'lights' as I have done, or want something else.

Are you suggesting 'what lights' instead of 'lights'?

Or maybe
'what lights'
and 'bike lighting' ??
(although having typed that, I'm not sure what the difference would be).

A problem with being too subtle/creating tags for a similar area that are supposed to be interpreted differently, is that the tag creators know what was meant, but using them does rely on all the other members of cyclechat interpreting them in the same way!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Surely most tags could be prefixed with bicycle, bike or cycle. But then do you search under "B", "C" or "L" for lights?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm possibly being a bit thick here, but I'm not sure if you agree with just creating the one tag 'lights' as I have done, or want something else.

Are you suggesting 'what lights' instead of 'lights'?

Or maybe
'what lights'
and 'bike lighting' ??
(although having typed that, I'm not sure what the difference would be).

A problem with being too subtle/creating tags for a similar area that are supposed to be interpreted differently, is that the tag creators know what was meant, but using them does rely on all the other members of cyclechat interpreting them in the same way!
No I'm happy with lights as a tag on its own.

I was making my rationale, as requested, for creating a tag for the word lighting as well as lights.

Would 'recommend me a Bike light' and 'what lights' titled threads be returned by just searching for a tag 'lights' ?

but you also get the terms dynamo lighting or my lighting setup is.... Is the crux of my rationale. Would ifnI.searched light does the forum software do wildcard searching and would recognise lighting within the word light(S)?

I do think that they can serve a different purpose but was, inelegantly, agreeing that if I had to choose only one of the two words. Lights will be the more useful.

@summerdays I haven't searched on tags yet so this is a genuine question

If someone asked a what lights question and searched for the tag 'lights' would a single tag of 'bike lights' return that thread?

I'm not being funny but on a cycling forum in that context the word 'bike' is superfluous. How many 'what lights' threads have been seeking advice on illuminating a bathroom vs picking lights to cycle by?

Top Bottom