New To Cycle Camping / Touring / Journeying - What do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My matt is a Decathlon Forclaz giving a nice little cushion of air between my arse and the ground. It isn't self inflating but doesn't take much to blow it up and deflates and packs away easily enough to about the size of a coke can. It weighs almost nothing. But there is no insulation from it which is where my emergency blanket comes in handy. It's a reusable one and can be used for all sorts including keeping the rain off if you can't be arsed cycling through Storm Whateverthenextoneiscalled.
Also handy for keeping you warm till the ambulance arrives when one of Armstrongs tipper truck drivers runs you over.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-air-inflatable-camping-sleeping-mat-red-50cm-id_8298497.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00266H5VI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Interesting. So would you recommend the forclaz or not?

Other than Bog Roll, What have I missed?
Coffee, and ........... either
- a tin of haggis or one of those vacuum packed curries (not necessarily these. The ones I used to get from a local Asian supermarket claimed to be "as made for the Indian army" - and they were GOOOD ^_^!);
- a packet of smash;
- and a generous portion of porage oats or oatmeal.

Yup - I have rolled into a campsite, pitched up, and only then asked where the nearest shop is ... on half-day closing :cursing:.

Oh - and no mat. I'd rather use the space for TWO tins of haggis or TWO curries. :whistle:. And a wee bag of rice.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Coffee, and ........... either
- a tin of haggis or one of those vacuum packed curries (not necessarily these. The ones I used to get from a local Asian supermarket claimed to be "as made for the Indian army" - and they were GOOOD ^_^!);
- a packet of smash;
- and a generous portion of porage oats or oatmeal.

Yup - I have rolled into a campsite, pitched up, and only then asked where the nearest shop is ... on half-day closing :cursing:.

Oh - and no mat. I'd rather use the space for TWO tins of haggis or TWO curries. :whistle:. And a wee bag of rice.
My 'go to' reserve dinner is a tin of macaroni cheese. :hungry:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd also put one of these on the list of 'essentials'

View attachment 344703

For oiling your kneecaps right?

KneesUp

Guru
If you're going to use the tent a lot, I can see why you might want to spend a lot on one. but the cheap ones in supermarkets are fine for a few days here and there. I've camped in all sorts - from a £9.99 Tesco tent to a 4.5metre long canvas steel framed tent, and the £9.99 one kept me dry as well as any of them. It was small and light too, which is ideal if you're carrying it. If it's a Summer holiday there is an evens chance it will be dry, but it should be warm enough.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I'd use the Vango folding stove,

View attachment 344671

I've got the earlier Epigas Alpine but they're very similar,gas bottles can be had in various sizes depending on length of trip.
These are the dogs danglies.

Instead of a tent/roll mat/sleeping bag, think about a hammock and a tarp. DD do some really good ones. My personal experience is that in the summer you don't need a sleeping bag if you use a DD frontline hammock with a tarp o'er top. But then again, I don't feel the cold.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
These are the dogs danglies.

Instead of a tent/roll mat/sleeping bag, think about a hammock and a tarp. DD do some really good ones. My personal experience is that in the summer you don't need a sleeping bag if you use a DD frontline hammock with a tarp o'er top. But then again, I don't feel the cold.
If my Epigas Alpine ever packs up/breaks (over 30yrs old now) that'll be what replaces it

Top Bottom