New to cycling - after my first road/gravel bike. What would you recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jjman45

Hi guys.
So over the past week or so I've found myself lost in the abyss that is online cycling and am still at a loose end with what to get as my first bike. I originally wanted a hybrid, then a road bike but more recently I feel a gravel bike would suit me and I'd be able to do the most with it.
It's going to be used for leisure 90% of the time. Starting with short/medium routes and hopefully venturing into longer ones as my confidence builds up.
I'm 5"9 so I'm mainly after medium/54cm frames. I have predominantly been looking at second hand bikes but my employer also offers a cycle to work scheme. Second hand I don't really want to go above £500 but if I were to use the cycle to work scheme I'd probably be looking at bikes anywhere between £500-£1000.

Any recommendations as to what makes/models you think I should be checking out are welcome.

Thanks.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If buying online you will need to partially assemble the bike. Are you okay with that? You'll also have to deal with any issues if something is faulty.
Both the above suggestions are good but Decathlon offer a lifetime warranty on their frames and a one year warranty on components.
I believe Halfords offer gravel bikes in your price range and I think their stores are open if you prefer to buy in store.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Bikes specifically titled "gravel" or "cyclocross" seem to command a high premium, not sure why since a hybrid or MTB does the same routes at a mph or two less... maybe demand for them is higher? They look a bit cooler? They're newer and fashionable? Not sure. But if that's what you're set on, the Giant TCX SLR 2 is available at Paul's Cycles on the cycle to work scheme for just under a grand, normally the list price is 1300. Nice bike.

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/3615/products/giant-tcx-slr-2-carbon-cyclocross-2019-blackgreen.aspx

OP
OP
J

jjman45

If buying online you will need to partially assemble the bike. Are you okay with that?

How much assembly is usually required when buying online? I guess this is something I'm going to have to get used to so I don't want to shy away from it. Especially if at any point I go to upgrade/change anything.

I have seen the decathlon bikes and have also been recommended them by a few people for the same reasons that are mentioned here.
Can I ask what's the difference between disk brakes and "standard" brakes? I've also seen the word hydraulic and mechanical used I think?

Also what materials ie aluminium, alloy, steel, carbon should I be looking at really?

Sorry if these questions are vague, it's like learning a new language.

OP
OP
J

jjman45

Found this second hand online, going for £550. Slightly above what I wanted to spend second hand to be honest but it looks like a nice bike

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200423_184455.jpg
    Screenshot_20200423_184455.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20200422_124734_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    Screenshot_20200422_124734_com.huawei.android.launcher.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 19

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks nice sure but what sort of condition is it in mechanically? Unless you know what you’re looking at it might cost you £££s to put it right, plus it’s not a gravel bike, it’s a full on arse in the air race bike. Is that what you want? Is it your size?
Usually assembly is quite straightforward but may not be, you need to ask the retailer.

Mechanical disc brakes are cable operated, hydraulic are operated by fluid like a car. The latter are better but are more complex.

At your price point of £550 aluminium is the most popular choice of frame material.

Last edited:
Top Bottom