New Tyres - Thoughts Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just looking for some of your thoughts. I need some new tyres.

I have used Conti 4 Seasons (23's) for the past year and half and they have been ok with minimal punctures but saw the Michelin Krylion Carbon were ranked the highest in the latest Bike RaderTest. Does anyone have any experince of them versus the Contis? or suggest another potential good all round tyre.

Cheers Mr P

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'm a fan of Vittoria Diamante tyres

yello

Tyres is one those subjects that divides opinion. I'd give the Michelins a try and form your own opinion.

Me, I'm a firm fan of Contis in general and the 4 Season in particular because it best suits my riding. Last summer, I tried the GP4000S for the first time and liked it greatly but I'd not be brave enough to ride them in winter.

I'm looking to switch from Conti (because of the price) and have read good reports of a Hutchinson (can't remember the exact model but I have it noted) that I'll give a go next time around.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I like the Michelin Krylion Carbons, they're very tough, and light, long lifespan too. I can only compare these to continental gatorskins which I also like, again a tough, light (if you use folding bead) tyres, although they do wear quicker. Grip is good, but not amazing, I find with both Krylions and Gatorskins I sometimes lose grip on uneven surfaces, wet draincovers, some stone surfaces, although I doubt my experiences are unique to Krylion and Gatorskin tyres.

Currently I'm use 25c gatorskins for the winter, I expect I will switch back to krylion carbons at the end of march.

Shrimp_Stu

Mixture of Schwalbe Marathon Plus, Continental GP4000S, Continental Gatorskins and Vittoria Rubino Pro's across my bikes....from personal experience they are ranked in the order listed...

Norry1

Legendary Member
I like the Krylions and find they roll very well - and I've only had 1 puncture in several thousand miles (that's asking for trouble I know).

Martin

Garz

Squat Member
For the last year have had Continental Gatorskins (23's) on the main bike, rate them highly as I have covered over 3.5k on them with some wear left on them!

The previous conti tyres I've had have been great for p'ture resistance and have performed well: 4 seasons, GP's, GP4000s, Contacts, Reflex and grip has been good. IIRC my last GP got 9600miles 1 p'ture. However I went for another base grand prix and they have since changed the design and whilst they grip better and the tread has a better p'ture resistance this seems to be to the detriment of the side walls and they've p'tured often; it might just be lady luck catching up on me too :whistle:

I used the Michelin Krylion a few years ago and they were superb. I then bought another pair and they were definitely not the same quality. I then read that Michelin had moved production from France to the East, (not sure where TBH). I don't know if there is any truth in it, and I don't know if the quality was affected by this, or whether I just got a duff pair, but I've not used them since.
I thinks it's true people stick to what they like. I use Schwalbe Durano+ on my commuter and Conti GP4000s on my CAAD and love 'em both :thumbsup:

mattsr

If you don't want to worry about punctures, Marathon + are the ones to go for. I've been commuting on them 5-6 days a week all year round for over two years without a single puncture.

(Probably jinxed them now.....):whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you don't want to worry about punctures, Marathon + are the ones to go for. I've been commuting on them 5-6 days a week all year round for over two years without a single puncture.

(Probably jinxed them now.....):whistle:

They won't fit on his top of the range road bike..:whistle:

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I run the Krylions... took a while to get used to, but found running slightly lower pressures than my previous tyres (Specialized Turbo Pro) gave much better feel and comfort. I now run ~95-100psi rather than the 120 I was running before.

Haven't had a single puncture in 2000 miles.

BikingChris

Its and interesting one this, in the past Ive taken the 'you get what you pay for' to hold true, and have been using mid range continentals on my road with all the puncture protection etc, then when last due for a replacement I took a chance and got a cheap pair of Victorex from Chain Reaction, thinking they wouldnt last five mins, they've done me god with no puncture for about a year day in day out commuting.

They dont have as much grip and have a much harder rubber but Im not finding grip an issue.

Just a thought,

Top Bottom