New wheel fitted by LBS - now it feels like I'm riding through treacle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Rear wheel was worn so paid too much money for a new wheel including labour at my LBS. New wheel was a bottom end of the market Shimano wheel (about 70 quid), but still supposedly better than the old alex rims wheel. Since then, it has felt much harder work cycling. My average has gone down and I'm getting more out of breath. On my eight mile commute I used to hardly sweat, but now I'm needing a change of clothes after I get home. I've put the bike on the stand and the wheel runs fine and doesn't stop for a while if you give the pedals a good turn. The rear brakes aren't rubbing nor do they get stuck on. I don't know what's going on and it's doing my head in. Part of me thinks it could be in my head, but cycling definitely feels a lot harder so I reckon something's not right. Suggestions? Ta muchly.

Tim Hall

Off the top of my head list of things:

What's the tyre on the new one? Same as the old?
How far can you freewheel on the new one, as opposed to how well does the wheel spin when on the stand?
Rim or disc brakes?
Does the front wheel also spin freely when the bike is in the stand? (the shop might have banjaxed that when they had it in for fitting the rear.)

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Off the top of my head list of things:

What's the tyre on the new one? Same as the old?
How far can you freewheel on the new one, as opposed to how well does the wheel spin when on the stand?
Rim or disc brakes?
Does the front wheel also spin freely when the bike is in the stand? (the shop might have banjaxed that when they had it in for fitting the rear.)
Same as the old - Kenda Kriterium 25c
Will have to try that on the next ride.
Rim brakes
No issues there as far as I can tell.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Any chest infection symptoms?
I had an atypical pneumonia a few years back - which troubled me for months.

If you're feeling fit and healthy, then it's time to take a close look at both wheels to ensure they're turning freely with no rub (brakes on rims/discs or tyres on frame). Yes, these issues should be obvious, but I've written here before about soldiering on for 2-3 miles with a rear tyre rubbing hard against a chainstay. I couldn't begin to understand why my speed and strength had suddenly deserted me!

Does the new wheel have the same casssette/gear ratios as previously? And does the chain move freely?

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

If you're feeling fit and healthy, then it's time to take a close look at both wheels to ensure they're turning freely with no rub (brakes on rims/discs or tyres on frame). Yes, these issues should be obvious, but I've written here before about soldiering on for 2-3 miles with a rear tyre rubbing hard against a chainstay. I couldn't begin to understand why my speed and strength had suddenly deserted me!

Does the new wheel have the same casssette/gear ratios as previously? And does the chain move freely?
No, feeling fit and healthy. The shop just put the cassette from the old wheel so should be fine I would have thought.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

Just checked again. Definitely not touching the frame or the chainstay or anything.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Have you taken the wheel out and refitted it? Sometimes I manage to get mine a bit skewed and then they drag on the brake. Actually mentioning brake, are the brakes still aligned correctly?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Are the bearing cups so tight they are stopping it rotating freely ?

gbb

Legendary Member
You say the wheel doesn't stop for a while after spinning it....have you got the old wheel to fit and see if it ran for a good deal longer ?

I say this because when I got my Fulcrums...i was immensey disappointed with exactly your sensation, like riding through treacle. New wheels and it felt like I'd gone backwards.
Perhaps they'll free up with some miles. Fresh grease, all new hubs vs well used and free running hubs.
Cup n cone or cartridge bearings ?

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
You say the wheel doesn't stop for a while after spinning it....have you got the old wheel to fit and see if it ran for a good deal longer ?

I say this because when I got my Fulcrums...i was immensey disappointed with exactly your sensation, like riding through treacle. New wheels and it felt like I'd gone backwards.
Perhaps they'll free up with some miles. Fresh grease, all new hubs vs well used and free running hubs.
Cup n cone or cartridge bearings ?
That sounds like my experience

Top Bottom