Newbie needs advice on a beginner bike..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrDC

Afternoon everyone!

My names Danny, i've been trying to get into riding for some time and now i've saved up enough and the days are long enough I think i'll be able to get started.

So I was in Halfords today and noticed this bike:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_991927_langId_-1_categoryId_165710

But i've also noticed it's 2013 model is the same price, but I prefer the colour scheme.

Can anyone tell me if there is much difference between the 2? Obviously ones newer but to my untrained eye everything looks the same but the color?

I originally started on a Viking Giro D'Italia I bought off ebay, I think thats what it was called anyway. It was good, got approx 30 miles on it but the gear changing on the flat part of the handlebars was an absolute pain and after I had finished work it was dark and riding in the dark was not ideal so I sold up and im ready to try again.

What equipment will I need as a starter? Obviously a bike, helmet. Anything else?

Thanks for your help.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do not mention the word obviously and helmet in the same breath on this forum :ohmy:

However, if you have decided you wish to wear one! specialized meet the highest safety standards. But TNS important thing is it fits your head properly and is comfortable

On the bike front, post the link to both for easy comparison

Also, join British cycling at £32 for ride membership to get10% off at halfords and lots of other great benefits

Other stuff to buy, bottle cage and bottle, lights if riding in low light, mitts to protect hands, a saddle bag, mini pump and track pump, a couple of spare inner tubes, a multi tool. You may want to consider clipless pedals and shoes

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The 2013 model is here. Halfords specification page is unhelpful as it gives practically no detail. As far as I can see they do seem almost identical apart from the colour, but there isn't enough information to say for sure.

Edit: I should also have said Hi and :welcome: Danny.

Last edited:
Top Bottom