Next CC Ecosse Ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
A trip to Largs can be done in a loop out of Bishopton (~100 km). If starting in Glasgow a one-way trip is perhaps more appropriate. The Eaglesham route posted by Hawk looks interesting too, I've never ventured that way myself. Other options off the top of my head is Crow Rd (Campsies) or some route in the Glen Fruin / Rosneath area.

Should we be looking at either 16/17 or 23/24 June then? That would give ample time to decide a route and drum up some interest.

23/34th june is best for me :thumbsup: Us east coast well me lot will need to work out how to get through to the west etc also :blink:

zizou

Veteran
Eaglesham moor is a good ride.

I'm not sure if i'll be able to make any cyclechat ride in the near future as my weekends are pretty busy at the moment but if you need any help planning a ride i know the roads in the west pretty well. The CC poster torodf also has a website with lots of route maps for the area.

btw have you considered going over to Arran? it would be more difficult to get there from the east but it makes for a great day out. On a sunny summers day with the ferry full of cyclists then its one of the best cycling experiences Scotland has to offer.

Hawk

Veteran
We could do a forum ride at some point in June (annoyingly I can't do the 23/24th :ohmy: ) and could do a big CC Arran Trip at some point in later summer, make an event out of it or whatever. The string road across the island has 50mph+ potential hills I'm told (I'm going tomorrow :biggrin:) so anybody wanting some thrills can do a few runs of that too :biggrin:

jimgow

Regular
Hate to piss on your parade, but looking back at the various CC Ecosse rides through these pages (there have been lots)
i think you'll have trouble getting anyone from the east to come through for a ride, a few people have tried to organise forum rides in the west and there have been very poor turnouts with practically no one from the east even bothering to turn up. It seems the east coasters want to ride on their doorstep all the time and organise rides that are handy for them to get to, like Loch Leven and Inverkeithing, Musselburgh and a few other places. This is based purely on opinion though just from reading back on old forum rides, but i'll be very surprised if any easties make the trip through to west. It's a shame as there's loads of great routes and places to go through here too.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Hate to piss on your parade, but looking back at the various CC Ecosse rides through these pages (there have been lots)
i think you'll have trouble getting anyone from the east to come through for a ride, a few people have tried to organise forum rides in the west and there have been very poor turnouts with practically no one from the east even bothering to turn up. It seems the east coasters want to ride on their doorstep all the time and organise rides that are handy for them to get to, like Loch Leven and Inverkeithing, Musselburgh and a few other places. This is based purely on opinion though just from reading back on old forum rides, but i'll be very surprised if any easties make the trip through to west. It's a shame as there's loads of great routes and places to go through here too.

I'm up for it, i used to be a member of a car forum and the west always wanted it through their direction and it never bothered me driving to glasgow for a meet, i really want us to get a decent cycle through the west cause its somewhere i dont have never cycled before, except PFS

redcard

Veteran
I'm up for what Hawk and Rasmus have suggested. Don't really have any major plans for the summer, so I'm pretty flexible on dates.

Might be up for the St Andrews Sportive if Stagecoach let you take bikes on the coach, or if I can organise other transport.

ACS

Legendary Member
I'm up for what Hawk and Rasmus have suggested. Don't really have any major plans for the summer, so I'm pretty flexible on dates.

Might be up for the St Andrews Sportive if Stagecoach let you take bikes on the coach, or if I can organise other transport.

Leuchars Railway station is about 6.5 miles from the centre of St Andrews. The first 1.5 miles of the route ( to Guardbridge) is road, then 4 miles along a good quality cycle path which is pan flat and quick. The start is about a further mile from the edge of town.

Cupar Railway station is about 10 miles from the start, 500 feet of climbing in the first 5 miles then its downhill for 4 and then a flat mile to the start.

I'm thinking about signing up for the event but I'm waiting to see how I go on the Potter for Tea Audax in early June. Not been a good cycling year for me to date.:blush:

If I do I enter I will be riding to the start from Cupar and would be happy to collect / guide riders if we can agree on the logistics.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru

Good stuff :thumbsup: Ill try and see if i can get some east coast lot to make it through seeing as not many seem to be replying to this thread :wacko:

If you do end up entering let me/us know cause i think ill be doing it too :thumbsup:

If I do I enter I will be riding to the start from Cupar and would be happy to collect / guide riders if we can agree on the logistics.

Sounds good to me ;)

Reactions: ACS

Fubar

Guru

Don't know that I agree with the sentiment - I think everyone organises rides that are easy for them, for places you can cycle from your house to - and it just so happens most of the rides that have been organised (certainly since I joined) have been in the East.

Anyhoo, I don't want to commit unless I am sure I am free that weekend which I'm not yet - it might be worth starting another thread to confirm dates, route, times, etc as not everyone will dig to the end of this thread.

Regards, Mark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hello, I'm back ... :hello:
Was expecting to read great tales of cakes etc, and found nothing had actually happened ...:rolleyes:

Jimgow, I'm one of the Easties who in the past arranged quite a few rides, these were mostly in my backyard, east & middle of the central belt ... the reason being mainly that I know the roads reasonably well, whereas I wouldn't know the west at all, apart from the cyclepath between Balloch and Bowling, and pretty much all roads on Bute, Arran and Great Cumbrae ...

As for joining the rides out west, I would have loved to do those that were organised, but I couldn't make them, due to date clashes, the odd stinking cold, no access by public transport (we don't have a car), or not being up to the mileage that was planned... there was never a "couldn't be bothered" reason ...

The islands are great places to cycle, but it takes about 3 hours each way to just get to Arran from Edinburgh by train/ferry, so not really suitable for a day trip from the east :sad:

To those planning rides ....if you were to map out shorter rides (40k-40miles), these might appeal to a larger number, and allow newbies who have never been on a CC Ecosse ride (or not-yet-fully-fit-bies like me) to join in ...:whistle:
We've had the best turnouts for rides of about that length in the past. Just my 2 p ...

T

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Was expecting to read great tales of cakes etc, and found nothing had actually happened ...:rolleyes:

Jimgow, I'm one of the Easties who in the past arranged quite a few rides, these were mostly in my backyard, east & middle of the central belt ... the reason being mainly that I know the roads reasonably well, whereas I wouldn't know the west at all, apart from the cyclepath between Balloch and Bowling, and pretty much all roads on Bute, Arran and Great Cumbrae ...

As for joining the rides out west, I would have loved to do those that were organised, but I couldn't make them, due to date clashes, the odd stinking cold, no access by public transport (we don't have a car), or not being up to the mileage that was planned... there was never a "couldn't be bothered" reason ...

The islands are great places to cycle, but it takes about 3 hours each way to just get to Arran from Edinburgh by train/ferry, so not really suitable for a day trip from the east :sad:

To those planning rides ....if you were to map out shorter rides (40k-40miles), these might appeal to a larger number, and allow newbies who have never been on a CC Ecosse ride (or not-yet-fully-fit-bies like me) to join in ...:whistle:
We've had the best turnouts for rides of about that length in the past. Just my 2 p ...

T

Thanks for the input, tbh I like just doing 40 to 50 miles in a group because that's my high end mileage, yes I'm trying to extend that but just love cycling in a group regardless how long the cycle is :smile: I agree also that cycles are organised by being easy for people to cycle from and to home but at the same time there is nothing stopping west coasters organising rides and just see who turns up :smile:

jimgow

Regular

T

Wasn't have a personal pop at you Telemark, but i was merely making a point that east coasters very very rarely venture further than their own doorstep ! i can see your point about transport too, but not being a driver myself i've caught the train through to Edinburgh on many occasions, they do run every 15 mins so quite a good service. My main point was again looking back at the CC Ecosse threads that they were all mostly based in the east and when some have been organised in the west no one from the east made an effort to come through.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Wasn't have a personal pop at you Telemark, but i was merely making a point that east coasters very very rarely venture further than their own doorstep ! i can see your point about transport too, but not being a driver myself i've caught the train through to Edinburgh on many occasions, they do run every 15 mins so quite a good service. My main point was again looking back at the CC Ecosse threads that they were all mostly based in the east and when some have been organised in the west no one from the east made an effort to come through.

Well about 2 months ago we had a "round the forth" route and the only person to my knowledge that made it from the west was Rasmus, now as he made it through to join us i would love to repay the favour and have a cycle through the west :bicycle:

Fubar

Guru

To be fair these thing are all voluntary and there is no obligation on anyone to do anything - I think if you organise a ride you have to expect to go out on your own if no-one else can or wants to make it...

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...

That's OK, I didn't take it as a "personal pop" :tongue:, but could only reply for myself rather than anybody else ...
After all, this isn't an Easties vs. Westies :gun: thing :surrender::biggrin: , we all ARE CC Ecosse :cheers:
So let's go out for a ride some time soon, maybe meet in the middle? :scratch:

T

Top Bottom