Next year................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've just detected a faint glimmer of light/recognition of what you're getting at here, DZ. But just as our images, memories and words fail, as narrow and mediated representations of what the ride was, won't there be a mismatch between the images, words and thoughts that we line up in advance of a ride and the ride itself?.
possibly. But that's where the idea of the time trial came from. It's such a simple thing. It's a sheer joy of speed kind of thing (albeit that some of us will think of twelve miles an hour as speedy and others will be whizzing along at twice that). And what I'm hoping for is that the simplicity affords a greater sense of something shared.

I was encouraged a little by the reaction to this.

a lot has been written, and all of it wonderful to read. I'm going to indulge myself.....

the run down to Goole is what it is. For what it's worth I like it a great deal. I like the flatness, the big sky, the far-off lights of the power station, and (while they would not be obvious to those who've not done it at night) I like the turbines, which are, without question, changing the face of that part of the world. I like Goole. It might be an acquired taste, but if you've lately been in possession of teenagers, there's something charming about the boys and girls wending their way home to parents tucked up in bed. I like the steel bridges and the ships in the middle of town, and the dampness of the air that probably plays havoc with the lungs of the elderly.

But....most of all I like the Isle of Axholme. It's the flatness, the absence of hedges, the geometry of the roads dictated by the flow of water at high tide, the remnants of the past struggles that bear a bit of reading up. I know every yard of tarmac that arcs from Swinefleet east and south to Garthorpe and I know that if the weather is kind the flatness and the bends make it the kind of road that is thrilling to ride at speed..

So, having despatched Team Fast in the hope of making our date at Garthorpe more or less to the minute, I lead the rest of the ride out of Goole, along the A161, and to the turn at Swinefleet, where a chilled Charlie was waiting to direct traffic. Having sorted out a relief I found myself on the back road with one other. The wind was next to nothing. The road was open. It was a float morning, but without the morning. The bike had an idea.

Those of you who doubt the bike should have been there. A touch on the pedals for three or four revolutions and I was thirty metres clear of my companion. A shift of gear, a nod to the church, and a touch more and the gap simply stretched away. Where the road was broken the bike snaked perhaps an inch, perhaps less to the side of the holes. Where there was the slightest of rises, the bike simply swallowed them and then plunged down the shallow descent, taking another click on the changer. I'd rolled down to Goole on a 53/17. It takes four near-imperceptible shifts to get to 53/13, and that's how the bike wanted it, demanding that I take the tightest corners at a screaming pace, diving from the far side of the road, clipping the apex, before running out to the gravel on the verge, all at the same Mississippi Half-Step Toodle-oo cadence, the kind of cadence that makes the finest team out of saddle, handlebars and pedals.

There's a village halfway shy of Garthorpe, with two blind ninety degree bends. The bike wasn't doing caution. In to the left-hander without so much as a breath on the brakes, then cutting from the right side of the road to the left side before the right-hander, and then, upright, spinning southward, just my front light keeping the moon company. The right and left just north of Garthorpe went the same way, shot surface notwithstanding, and then, in to the village, the houses pressed close to the street, at the kind of pace that would have been just plain uncivilised at a more civilised hour.

I popped in to the village hall, checked the trestles loaded down with sandwiches and cake, and then went back out of the village to the open land, there to wait for the rest of the crew. There are two waymarking spots on the FNRttC worth fighting a duel for - the last one before Faygate and this blank road north of Garthorpe. At Faygate the advancing bike lights shine through the trees Spielberg stylee before they hit the top of the rise, and then cast lines ahead as they come down the hill in to the village. At Garthorpe the lights make a map of the Isle underneath the vast flat plane of the sky. They turn left, turn right, describing the ditches dug so farsightedly in the eighteenth century, The gigantic berm that keeps out the sea is, perhaps, ten feet above the heads of the cyclists, a backdrop of some significance. Sea, sky, straight lines, piercing lights - Kasimir Malevich would have torn his heart out to paint it. My heart soared like a dove as the Fridays hove in to view, two by two, to be accompanied to the crossroads and directed to the village hall, and I suppose that I might have made my way up and down the high street some ten times before Mr. Wow and the Tail End Charlies rolled in to town.

The rest......if I'm honest.... it gets us there. I love those first views of the bridge, and I love the bridge itself. Hull is cool. Cafe Pasaz is the coolest thing in Hull. The train that takes us all the way to Kings Cross is a delight. All of which means nothing without the company, but if you're in great company why not do great stuff? That said.....if, in ten years time I'm leafing through what remains of my memory, it's the ten miles from Goole to Garthorpe I'll call on.

Last edited:
But............we are imaginative beings. We imagine ourselves whizzing down a road, turning a corner at speed, the wind in our hair (or whatever). We fix our sensations on to images in order to memorialise them, or to make them part of us. The image lasts when the sensation is over. So, if a few numbers on a bit of paper representing a time is a paltry image, an unworthy image, what form should the images that we are left with take? And should they be images after the event or before? That's where the branding comes in - we've attempted over the last eight years to describe, in words and images, the story of our rides, but, increasingly I'm of the view that those after images don't actually tell the story, and that the story can only be ridden - heaven knows we've been trying to capture what we do in type on these very boards for long enough and, if we're honest that capturing is not so very wonderful. So why not have the images before the ride and use them to enliven and make more apparent our experiences on the ride?

So (once again).....when I'm whizzing along at night on my own, this might sort of describe the ride. There's a kind of rush, and yet a kind of stillness. For somebody else it would be something different.

Mmm. I understand the original branding/concept idea. And to be honest, at times I've tried to write eloquently about the journey/experience I've had. However, bearing in mind my first FNRttC was (I think) July or August 2005, there's only so many ways you can express yourself. I wouldn't say I'm jaded by it all, far from it. However in the early days I'd be all hyper in the evening leading up to midnight, double or triple checking I'd got everything, the right clothing, tools, checking train times to London etc. Now, it's as though it's all automated and I do what I have to for preparation, without really thinking about the process. And in some ways it's the same on the actual ride itself. Someone has a puncture - stop - fix - ride on. As for afterwards, there's only so much that can be said, so that's probably why your literary hopes haven't been fulfilled.

I've no idea about the time trial thing or whatever it is. But I'll look forward to it.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
possibly.
I was encouraged a little by the reaction to this. a lot has been written, and all of it wonderful to read. I'm going to indulge myself.....

the run down to Goole is what it is...
So, having despatched Team Fast in the hope of making our date at Garthorpe more or less to the minute, I lead the rest of the ride out of Goole, along the A161, and to the turn at Swinefleet, where a chilled Charlie was waiting to direct traffic. Having sorted out a relief I found myself on the back road with one other. The wind was next to nothing. The road was open. It was a float morning, but without the morning. The bike had an idea...

Those of you who doubt the bike should have been there. A touch on the pedals for three or four revolutions and I was thirty metres clear of my companion. A shift of gear, a nod to the church, and a touch more and the gap simply stretched away. Where the road was broken the bike snaked perhaps an inch, perhaps less to the side of the holes. Where there was the slightest of rises, the bike simply swallowed them and then plunged down the shallow descent, taking another click on the changer. I'd rolled down to Goole on a 53/17. It takes four near-imperceptible shifts to get to 53/13, and that's how the bike wanted it, demanding that I take the tightest corners at a screaming pace, diving from the far side of the road, clipping the apex, before running out to the gravel on the verge, all at the same Mississippi Half-Step Toodle-oo cadence, the kind of cadence that makes the finest team out of saddle, handlebars and pedals. ...There's a village halfway shy of Garthorpe, with two blind ninety degree bends. The bike wasn't doing caution. In to the left-hander without so much as a breath on the brakes, then cutting from the right side of the road to the left side before the right-hander, and then, upright, spinning southward, just my front light keeping the moon company. The right and left just north of Garthorpe went the same way, shot surface notwithstanding, and then, in to the village, the houses pressed close to the street, at the kind of pace that would have been just plain uncivilised at a more civilised hour.... it's the ten miles from Goole to Garthorpe I'll call on.

So do I ...

Another fantastic ride , my level of fitness I discovered was questionable... trying to keep up with the 'fast group' (to Gawthorpe from Goole) proved ''impossible' just the odd flashing light in the distance, most of them being marker / buoy lights on the river bank when i 'caught' them up

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When I saw mention of ice cream finishes I thought this was going to be one of those urban nocturnal criterion races.

18_1305713380_9920_300_300.JPG

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If we're doing literary references, if we're time-trialling I want an infinite improbability drive (probably against UCI rules, but what do they know).....

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As long as the cull's not on, you just go through the pedestrian gates. Been through there a few times at night, 'tis fab.
It's magic...but watch out of the Kamikaze Badger! He's mean.

I'm going High Concept

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkVwJmwKQUY

let me put it this way. The FNRttC was supposed to be a literary endeavour. It failed in that respect, although it succeeded in some others. It took me a long time to work out that the brand had failed as well because I had applied images to the product. I've learnt. I'm going to come up with the images (which might not be images at all, but sounds or gestures) and reverse the product in to it. It's going to be the same things - mysterious, romantic, and wrapped around smiles, but it's also going to be cool. In fact it will be cycling's Birth of the Cool.

Those herbs you found in the kitchen dz.......... May not have been..... Culinary herbs......

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is this a good place to mention that I'd like to do a naked night ride that puposely goes through provincial towns and villages at chucking-out time just so se the look of incredulity on the pissed faces? Later as we roll into our early morning destination the look of surprise on the early morning commuters....
OK, I thought not ....

anothersam

SMIDSMe
You're all being far too unimaginative.
Welcome to my world.

It will be shaped and glazed to concentrate moonlight and starlight to melt cars and set fire to lemons.
Ah, you've been there.

...a lot has been written, and all of it wonderful to read...
There are some great posts in this thread, not least your return to Goole, which takes me back to that place where your original vision, and mine, met. Anyway, the past is the past and the future is now:

A bike ride. In the dark. The final frontier.

---

Some will say you've jumped the shark;
are sniffing glue; catnip, too;
twitching in your middle age - is that a stork or a lark?
dellzeqq: infinite jester of entropy, or midwife to the birth of the true?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with Adam on this. It can get routine, although I prefer the routine to the time around 2008/2009 when I used to worry so much that I really came to hate going on these rides. It's now a kind of night out with friends, which is nice but rarely thrilling. Each year I say to Susie 'right, this is the last year' and each year she says 'but you look so sexy when you give the safety talk', so I keep on, although sometimes I wonder if she really means it.

So I like to think my way forward to something else. The SuperSpeedy rides were a bit of a letdown, the tours were great but I'm not able to commit to going on tour myself next year, so I'm going for something fresh, youngpeople and generally kickass. Midnight Ridazz watch out!

Top Bottom