Nice HGV driver - doesn't see car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
dondare said:
That's the legislation bit. Make the driving test more rigorous and enforce the laws more rigorously.
I don't feel the test is particularly appropriate or that good at actually weeding out people who are "bad drivers", my general experience is that the most irresponsible drivers are the ones which pass their driving test easily. As such the whole way we test drivers needs to be overhauled but I personally am not sure what changes need to be made.

More rigorous enforcement of law would be good but this isn't legislation per-se this is policing. You can have all the legislation you want but if it's not enforced it may well not exist. This is the situation we seem to have gotten ourselves into in the UK. It may be a press lead miss-conception but my feeling is people aren't generally prosecuted for driving offences until a serious incident has occurred. This reactive rather than proactive policing IMO makes the crime getting caught not the actual act.

But the roads should never be considered as part of the process of Natural Selection, and even idiots need to be able to get around somehow. If dangers can be identified then they should be removed.
The problem is you have people acting like idiots on the road then incidents will happen. You simply can't mitigate away this with removing potential dangers from the road as you end up with everyone having their own personal road network.

Apart from anything else it is probably small comfort to a lorry driver who has just turned a car into a tin of corned beef that it was the other fellows fault.
Very true, very true.

dondare

Über Member
Catrike UK said:
Is that a comment about women? ;)

In any population random variation of any variable gives exactly equivalent numbers of subnormals and supernormals.
But injury, disease, genetic and congenital defects increase the proportion of subnormals.
Walking, cycling, driving subnormals.
A civilised society both protects them and protects itself against them.

dondare said:
In any population random variation of any variable gives exactly equivalent numbers of subnormals and supernormals.
But injury, disease, genetic and congenital defects increase the proportion of subnormals.
Walking, cycling, driving subnormals.
A civilised society both protects them and protects itself against them.

I don't think the women on the forum are going to like you calling them subnormal. ;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rhythm Thief said:
But I can't understand why motorway driving isn't a compulsory part of any driving test.

It could be to do with the fact that not everyone has a motorway on their doorstep, nearest one to here is an hour away.

Top Bottom