Night riding feels amazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Our Wednesday night pubrun (obv suspended during lockdowns) goes on throughout the year, so night riding is required.
A friend recently organised an overnight 300 (my route) because she was otherwise busy. Okehampton to Barnstaple in the dead of night is a splendid ride, as is heading East through N Devon, into the dawn.

I have had close encounters over the years with badgers, deer, rabbits, and a bat.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I love riding at night (like the OP, dark rural lanes in Wales). Sadly now I am retired I don't actually need to ride after dark, but reading this thread I am tempted to go out for a spin later on. Stick to quiet roads, get some good lights, and it's fine. Although riding in the pitch black was quite a rush, the best time for wildlife was dawn. Foxes galore, Red Kites and, on one occasion, a whole family of Bullfinch burst out from a roadside bush into my face. And a very memorable game of Chicken with an owl - he swerved before I did :becool:

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yeah it can get spooky especially with my over actie imagination. Watch The Walking Dead or World War Z before going out.......

Edit: fixed typo.

Last edited:

LJR69

I absolutely love night riding and like someone said earlier, especially off road. There are trails I ride all the time in the daylight that feel completely and utterly different at night!

Solocle

Über Member
I think it depends where you ride.
I'd not want to do it on main roads with lots of traffic.

But at night in quieter wiggly lanes its almost safer, you can see things coming from miles off.

But yes lights and high vis also maybe, so they can see you when nearer.
Main roads with a lot of traffic? Well, you have a point in the evening, but 3am riding is an utter delight, even/especially on main roads.

Just a bit easy to get lost for the "navigationally challenged" like myself...
1606937498708.png

Is this right? Well, it's the 2nd left, and the road signs said the A40 is 2nd left.
IMG_4802.JPG

...Ah :eek:

Navigational errors aside, delightful!
1606937801635.png

OP
OP
Cymro74

Cymro74

Animals seen on a night ride sounds like a great sub-thread. I move much more quietly on my bike than walking so many animals don't have chance to disappear. It's just the front light that they notice first.

I wonder if there's a TV programme idea there - Winterwatch by bike! Or is that too much like Alan Partride's 'Youth hostelling with Kris Akabusi'.

Tribansman

Veteran
Moonlit nights are magical on a bike. When I commuted in Somerset I'd turn off my front light when on the lanes and ride using my night vision. the only lights would be oncoming cars so I'd see them a long way away.

They certainly are, and that's what I did this evening...

Started off a lovely clear night, but the clouds and mist rolled in an hour or so after I took this. Saw a couple of deer and sadly several dead rabbits and badgers

IMG_20201202_200917.jpg

Wobblers

Euthermic
I've followed a good few trundling badgers for a long way too.
They struggle to get up the hedge banks round our way.

For some reason I don't ever try to overtake them, I spose I wouldnt want one panicking and running into me sideways.

They're quite hefty, with big claws.

Yeap, I had a few nocturnal encounters with live badgers (as opposed to the more usual roadkill sort :sad:) when I was living in Brum. Like you, I used to slow down or stop to give them a chance to amble off. I felt a bit sorry for scaring them. Besides, as you say, they've got a mean set of claws! Never tangle with a mustelid, that's what i say...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yeap, I had a few nocturnal encounters with live badgers (as opposed to the more usual roadkill sort :sad:) when I was living in Brum. Like you, I used to slow down or stop to give them a chance to amble off. I felt a bit sorry for scaring them. Besides, as you say, they've got a mean set of claws! Never tangle with a mustelid, that's what i say...

I had one be quite snarly and aggressive towards me in a green lane very near here, it was planning on crossing hedge to hedge as I walked along the track. .

I had to wave my coat at it, matador style to get it to back up.

The funniest part was when I looked round and found my oh so gallant walking partner was legging it off down the lane :laugh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Moonlit nights are magical on a bike. When I commuted in Somerset I'd turn off my front light when on the lanes and ride using my night vision. the only lights would be oncoming cars so I'd see them a long way away.

Of course, if I'd encountered a cyclist doing the same as me I may have had problems...

I used to do this no lights thing alot.. It's lovely. Even if a bit naughty.

And also met an unlit cyclist coming the other way one time.
Thankfully it was a friend who had similarly bad habits.

Not sure I'd do it now that everywhere is busier, even round here.

I get all harrumphy now when I see people in dark clothes with no lights - even just walking. - must be getting sensible in my middle youth :sad:

Top Bottom