Night riding feels amazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Full beam on both my front lights.. Easy to find my way home from work! 👌

bobsinatra

Über Member
Absolutely. Love riding at night for all the reasons you said. I virtually always ride on my own on day rides, but there's def a more intense solitude when ploughing through pitch black lanes.

I try and do a sunset to sunrise ride every year - and a long night ride on bonfire night - it's an amazing feeling when you've ridden through the night and you see the sun come up.

If it's not a really familiar route, it makes me realise how much I rely on what I can see when climbing - gradient, how much of the climb is left. Have always found climbing at night, which you have to do completely on feel, more difficult. Maybe not being able to blast downhill and use that momentum is a factor too.

Where I am in Hertfordshire, deer can be a real hazard though! Have had a few near misses

I am in St Albans, so don't come across many deers, but do see plenty of well fed foxes.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I'm thinking of venturing off road into the darkness of the forest. Alas I've never been alone in the forest so that'll be a first; previously I've always been with a group.

Edit: typo. Blxxdy heck i make a typo in every one of my psots.

Make sure you have a phone or other backup plan if you are in the wilderness at night doing something like cycling. A good friend of mine was a forester and was doing some surveying of forestry, alone, in Scotland. After dark and about a foot of snow. He was about a mile from his car when he tripped and fell face-first onto the sharp stump of a freshly-cut tree. His face was badly smashed up and he had no phone signal. Eventually he made it back to his car, having badly frightened an old lady in a cottage where he called for help. After that, his wife insisted on a satellite phone for him. An extreme example, but if you are doing a physical activity in a lonely and inaccessible place, it makes sense to do a bit of worst-case planning. Having sorted that, you can have fun.

at nite in the snow anyone?
I wouldn't.
Anything in ice territory (I know snow isn't ice) I stay off the bike.

Top Bottom