Night riding feels amazing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Probably be okay as long as he doesn't wear anything with fur on it.
I think it is often a case of shoot first, look for fur/feathers/hide later! Lemond's brother-in-law blasted away at the first sign of movement, unfortunately that of Lemond rather than that of a turkey... :whistle:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I think it is often a case of shoot first, look for fur/feathers/hide later! Lemond's brother-in-law blasted away at the first sign of movement, unfortunately that of Lemond rather than that of a turkey... :whistle:
I always wonder if any of the 'Beaters' ever get hit during a big shoot as there must be so many guns aiming for the same birds.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I always wonder if any of the 'Beaters' ever get hit during a big shoot as there must be so many guns aiming for the same birds.

If it's in the UK, than I would put my pension on the safety of the beaters. On shoots I have been on (not that many, I admit), the rules for the safety of the beaters have over-ridden everything else. Beaters are volunteers. Shoot owners/organisers treat them well, or they won't have any beaters next time.

OP
OP
Cymro74

Cymro74

Braved the freezing cold last night - as always, the worst part is getting going. Apart from a few owls and rabbits it was eerily silent on totally black lanes. Spent far too long looking straight up picking out constellations.
My eyes play tricks on most night rides - this time it was bracken fronds which looked like alien arms reaching for me. Also, my light picked out dozens of small creepy swaying green lights a couple of fields away. Turned out to be sheep eyes reflecting my light from a distance.
Regarding battery times, my cateye 1300 lasts 15-20 hours on low permanent light, which is perfect for unlit lanes. I'm using it more at the moment as I have switched to my old bike without a dynamo hub. They are gritting the roads every day and I'd rather sacrifice my cheap old Raleigh.

Regarding battery times, my cateye 1300 lasts 15-20 hours on low permanent light, which is perfect for unlit lanes.
Is low really good enough? Can you see potholes and the lie of the road ahead?
My Ixon IQ premium is often on full power on lanes. Of course that doesn't give anything like your run time.

OP
OP
Cymro74

Cymro74

Yes, cateye on low is fine on unlit roads and still allow some night vision. I do switch it to medium, or switch on helmet lamp now and again.
I have never used high setting as it drains battery in 2 hours. More importantly it doesn't show up potholes very well as everything on road is too bright.

Probably be okay as long as he doesn't wear anything with fur on it.
nah, I was dressed like a snowy owl

ACTP0773 AA.JPG

lol that's quite the outfit! I'm surprised you can pedal wearing all that :biggrin:
lol I'm slow as sh*t. originally got the white camo rain jacket(s) for me & my sister, one February cuz we we trying to photo snowy owls on Cape Cod. we meet there annually for her birthday. I used to torture her, making her do a 10 mile hike out to Jeremy Point, Wellfleet, timed at low tide, which usually meant starting in complete darkness. we would go regardless of weather & more often than not, it was bad, very bad weather

down below I've got thin fleece pants under some Showers Pass brand storm pants

ACTP0672.JPG

been toying w/ getting matching white camo pants, but don't want to look silly ;-)

I used to SCUBA dive, also at night, also during storms, so this is really not bad at all. no tanks on my back!

now that we have a cpl inches of the white stuff on the ground & trails, I know I shud choose my trails wisely, also keep an eye on the temps. wet mud is like fly paper ... too slow & pedaling thru it is drudgery. however white crusty snow over pine needles, now that's a bit of fun. I missed my opportunity this week but looking at next week, after some rain, the snow will be less deep, possibly gone, but if not, frozen hard. looking forward to next Wednesday night

nite ride next week.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Top Bottom