Night Time Cycling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

spacecowboy831

Thank you all for replying. I am looking out for another rear light which hopefully will be brighter than my current. My current 1000 lumens is a brand new light had it less than a week. It does come with a battery indicator and it as 3 static light settings and 3 flashing settings. I'm guessing I can have it flashing mode in well lit areas and switch it to static when unlit.

I know there is a 1600 lumens version of the light I have which comes with a 100 lumens back light I could then use my other as a back up.

Thank you Rickshaw Phil for moving it to the correct forum for me.

classic33

Leg End Member
There's two types of light for night riding, to see with and to be seen.
Don't make the assumption that because your lights are the brightest out there, you'll be seen.

If you're able, try and get a chance to ride with no lights. Once your eyes have adjusted to the lower light level, what becomes visible may surprise you. Even if it's only stopping at the side of the road for a short time.

OP
OP
S

spacecowboy831

I think I will try a short ride tonight. By short I mean a 8 mile round trip up to my local country park. The start of the route is a well lit cycle path then it goes unlit. Then onto a lit road and the country park is unlit.

I know this is only short but should give me some idea what to expect on longer rides,

Alex321

Veteran
I do enjoy night rides both on unlit and lit roads. Have an additional flashing rear light on the right seat stay closer to the axle. Have a second light in front as well and it is a 1000 lumens that I use for unlit roads but am careful to switch it off for oncoming vehicles. All routes are scoped during daylight. I found that riding at night is very different from day rides. Anyone who tells you otherwise has never done it or have followed a group. Your line of sight is up to the beam that is thrown out. Short curvy routes are not easy, need to slow down sharply. Best rides are on quiet roads.
Why switch your light off for oncoming vehicles?

1000 lumens is quite a bit less than car dipped headlights, which are typically around 2000 lumens. So long as it is angled a bit left and a bit down, it shouldn't dazzle.

TBH, with gloves on,it takes me too long to turn it off & on anyhow.

Alex321

Veteran
Thank you all for replying. I am looking out for another rear light which hopefully will be brighter than my current. My current 1000 lumens is a brand new light had it less than a week. It does come with a battery indicator and it as 3 static light settings and 3 flashing settings. I'm guessing I can have it flashing mode in well lit areas and switch it to static when unlit.

I know there is a 1600 lumens version of the light I have which comes with a 100 lumens back light I could then use my other as a back up.

Thank you Rickshaw Phil for moving it to the correct forum for me.
If your current rear is 80 lumens, you don't need a brighter one. On unlit roads, even 80 is overkill, 25-50 would be recommended, as the rear is to be seen by,not to see with.

Why switch your light off for oncoming vehicles?

1000 lumens is quite a bit less than car dipped headlights, which are typically around 2000 lumens. So long as it is angled a bit left and a bit down, it shouldn't dazzle.

TBH, with gloves on,it takes me too long to turn it off & on anyhow.
Have 2 lights in front when riding at night. A less intensity light and the brighter light. Agree it is initially a fumble to turn it off.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... but it's always at the back of my mind that a very small number seem to think that a quiet road at night gives them the right to drive like Colin McRae, so listening for engine sounds is worthwhile as well as looking out for their lights.
having come within a foot of carnage on an unlit country lane when some wally felt it was fine to drive the 'racing' line, and hurtled round a corner on 'my' side of the road... I'm very wary of some unlit lanes at night these days. If they don't see another car's headlights they think they're the only ones on the road, and there's not much a cyclist can do.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Equally don't go overboard in the thinking department. It's just doing something you normally do but at night. Take lights, common sense and do it.

alex_cycles

Veteran
having come within a foot of carnage on an unlit country lane when some wally felt it was fine to drive the 'racing' line, and hurtled round a corner on 'my' side of the road... I'm very wary of some unlit lanes at night these days. If they don't see another car's headlights they think they're the only ones on the road, and there's not much a cyclist can do.
Sounds like a car headlight 'simulator' is needed then in that situation.

you shouldn't have to turn any light off. If you have to, there's something wrong with the light or its positioning.
Previously I dipped the light angle. However I need the beam to go far in unlit roads. So I stopped dipping the high beam and pressed the button to turn it off. No different to driving cars in the night with a high beam on remote area to avoid bliding the oncoming driver. The second front light remains on.

Previously I dipped the light angle. However I need the beam to go far in unlit roads. So I stopped dipping the high beam and pressed the button to turn it off. No different to driving cars in the night with a high beam on remote area to avoid bliding the oncoming driver. The second front light remains on.
isn't there a big difference with cars? ie they go faster than you or I can pedal therefore they need a longer beam to light the road they are going to be driving into very soon.
My B&M battery light has a shaped bean and lights the road ahead I need to see.
I don't think it annoys drivers.
My Hope Vision 1 has done sometimes though it is possible that that was my positioning of it.

isn't there a big difference with cars? ie they go faster than you or I can pedal therefore they need a longer beam to light the road they are going to be driving into very soon.
My B&M battery light has a shaped bean and lights the road ahead I need to see.
I don't think it annoys drivers.
My Hope Vision 1 has done sometimes though it is possible that that was my positioning of it.
I had cyclists with bright lights blinding me. Maybe I am too cautious.

Top Bottom