Night Time Cycling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I do a lot of night riding and have done for years. A reliable light is important. I don't think 450 lumens is bright enogh if you head out into the countryside - it would be all right on night-lit streets, but for darkened lanes you'll want the 1000 lumens. I do my riding very, very early in the morning when there is little (if any) traffic about and very much like the peace and the plesaing sense of adventure of being out and about at such an hour. It is different than riding in daylight, but don't over think it - go for a few short experimental rides on roads you know well and you'll soon get the drift of it.

Alex321

Veteran
Previously I dipped the light angle. However I need the beam to go far in unlit roads. So I stopped dipping the high beam and pressed the button to turn it off. No different to driving cars in the night with a high beam on remote area to avoid bliding the oncoming driver. The second front light remains on.
Unless your "high beam" is more than 2000 lumens, it is no more than a dipped car headlight. With my 1600 lumen front light, I can see it is slightly less than most dipped car headlights as they pass from behind (way less than full beam headlights).

Oh. A peaked cap is useful. If there's a car on high beams coming towards you - this happens less now we have bright light but still happens - you can block them out with the peak whilst still being able to see where you're going.

OP
OP
S

spacecowboy831

So I went to my local Country Park which was a round trip of 8 miles. Some section of the route where lit up and some was unlit. The lit bit was the road and unlit was the Cycle path and the country park was unlit. I don't know why but I felt very nervous on the unlit cycle path. I was fine on the road that was lit. I could see well ahead of me with my lights but it had a strange feeling to it.

classic33

Leg End Member
So I went to my local Country Park which was a round trip of 8 miles. Some section of the route where lit up and some was unlit. The lit bit was the road and unlit was the Cycle path and the country park was unlit. I don't know why but I felt very nervous on the unlit cycle path. I was fine on the road that was lit. I could see well ahead of me with my lights but it had a strange feeling to it.
Nothing unusual in feeling nervous in an unlit area for the first time. Riding under your own lights can be odd as they narrow your field of view. Your eyes are going where the lights are pointing. You'll get used to it, the more you spend cycling in the dark/semi darkness.

I bet your ears were working overtime in the unlit section. Get that under control and the ride becomes more enjoyable.

OP
OP
S

spacecowboy831

I was definitely listening out for things. I remember while I was at the country park I quickly glanced behind me and was kind of shocked at how dark it really was. Seeing in front of me was never a issue and felt completely comfortable in that respect. To the left or right I could not see a thing . A new there where woods either side of me because I regularly travel through there during day times. I did catch a glimpse of a Rabbit, Fox and badger in my lights.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If this is between roughly midnight and dawn then have a think about if there are some A or B roads you could use. Many of the busier roads are very quiet during this period, the surfaces are good, sight lines good , and you can make good progress.

I also find riding some urban roads can be interesting in middle of the night when they’d be quite boring or too busy during the day. Especially at the moment with some Christmas lights still on display.

Alex321

Veteran
My ride on Saturday extended into darkness. I made a navigational error and missed a turning that I have taken many, many times before in daylight. Everything is a bit different in the dark. I realised quite quickly (hang on, I shouldn't be going uphill now!) so no harm done, but I've never missed that turn before.
I haven't actually missed a turning yet, but have several times found myself wondering if I'm actually on the right road, or just where I am on it.

If this is between roughly midnight and dawn then have a think about if there are some A or B roads you could use. Many of the busier roads are very quiet during this period, the surfaces are good, sight lines good , and you can make good progress.

I also find riding some urban roads can be interesting in middle of the night when they’d be quite boring or too busy during the day. Especially at the moment with some Christmas lights still on display.
if between midnight and dawn you also have to prepare for cold/have extra layers available - the coldest part of the night is often just before dawn. Even in summer can be seriously nippy, particularly if a windchill.

Even if not used for navigating a route, I find a GPS with map excellent for nightime riding - for alerting you to upcoming bends you might otherwise overlook, particularly if a bit zonked.

Why switch your light off for oncoming vehicles?

1000 lumens is quite a bit less than car dipped headlights, which are typically around 2000 lumens. So long as it is angled a bit left and a bit down, it shouldn't dazzle.

TBH, with gloves on,it takes me too long to turn it off & on anyhow.
I must try it one night to see how bright it actually is. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If you don’t like looking into darkness then you could consider supplementing your main light with a helmet-mounted light.
If you are riding alone. Or if you always remember to switch it off when looking it at someone. It can be quite unpleasant to be dazzled by someone who is blithely unaware that they are blinding everyone they turn their head towards.

Also bear in mind that attaching things to helmets is generally advised against in the instructions you get when you buy one.

figbat

Slippery scientist
If you are riding alone. Or if you always remember to switch it off when looking it at someone. It can be quite unpleasant to be dazzled by someone who is blithely unaware that they are blinding everyone they turn their head towards.

Also bear in mind that attaching things to helmets is generally advised against in the instructions you get when you buy one.
Yep, agreed on all counts. As always it's a risk/reward analysis - the benefits of seeing where you look vs the risks that come with it.

I ride almost exclusively at night through the winter and much of the other seasons too. Some of the group I ride with wear helmet lights and do the dazzling thing, which is irritating. I generally don't wear a helmet light due to the extra faff and my bar light is more than good enough, but I thought I'd throw it in the ring.

Top Bottom