Non-Desk Jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
International Flying Food Scientist of Fortune ....

I work anywhere there's electricity.

I work indoors but would rather be presenting man V food :smile:

man-v-food-nation_ep_st-paul.rend.tccom.511.384.jpe

Shaun

tyred

Legendary Member
I've just recently finished the desk job I had for 13 years and am considering my options at the moment. The one thing I am certain about is that I don't want another desk job. I like to be active, I hated all the office politics and shoot that went on.

I was in an insurance brokers today sorting out my car insurance and I just looked around me and 7 or 8 people sitting at desks looking miserable and thanked my lucky stars that is no longer me!

Been a desk jockey for over 20 years. Office politics suck, hours are long, never enough time to ride. But the work is always mentally challenging so at least the greys cells get exercised every day.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
So, after a few years of various job changes, I have 'settled' into a desk job...It is not what I ever wanted to do but hey-ho! I am in my late 20's so still have time to change things up...

Anyone have a fulfilling non-desk job that I can be envious of?

I couldnt help an envious snigger.......sorry.

I worked for Barclays Bank for a long time. I had just bought a new house and came over to Denmark for my brothers wedding and was talked into leaving Barclays, selling my new house and moving to Denmark to work for Elvstrøm Sails.

The idea seems crazy to me as I write this but it was easy. Ive been here 14 years now. I knew nothing about Sails when I came here and it has all been on the job learning. I was 44 years old when I made the move.

I see my Sails all over the World when I am on holiday and it gives a lot of satisfaction.

You think you have lots of time. You dont. It speeds up at hell of a rate. Dont wait to do things, do it now.

But if you fancy something a little different in your life look at a website called Helpx. Jannie and I have done it in UK, Italy and France. It has been fantastic. When we retiré we hope to do it for 6 months of the year.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have my own office but no deck as such, varied hours anywhere in the 24 hours of the day and night. I am able to watch the seasons change and the daily weather and landscapes from the comfort?? of my chair.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I make whisky here at Glenlivet distillery...brilliant job.

Bet you get alot of free samples

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I still teach French at my local Tec , evening classes, and am constantly chased for my paper work. Why change a habit of a life time?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been an apprentice mechanic, worked on a fairground, in factories, worked as a carer and stacked shelves in shops before settling into a desk job for a decade and a bit... it was nice sitting on my arse and not getting all hot and sweaty. I thoroughly enjoyed getting paid for being creative, but i did find myself taking my work home with me far too often. Now I'm back to stacking shelves. It's a no brainer but I do get hot and sweaty. Beer belly is receding nicely. Work stays at work, plenty of time to myself thanks to a part time contract and physically, I feel as fit as feck. :smile:

Top Bottom