Non-pedal powered vehicles you drove

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
The MTB wheelchair was shown on tonights ITV4 Cycling Show.
The rh handgrip swivels to dial in steering of the rear wheel

Night Train

Maker of Things
I'd love to have a go at the Antar, or the Matador myself, but sadly I doubt I'll get the chance.
This is the only image of my Matador at the moment. I have just dug out the negs to see if I can get new prints made.
Matador01.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My driving history is a bit dull by comparision...
My first car was one of these.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHmDCXoi6ZPko9_1ite0VgAy8Ih_6sVHtHbU1SfuqordzJ8dFT.jpg

It was cheap. And nasty. It had several endearing handling traits, including lift-off oversteer.

Next came a 1000 cc Metro like this.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwZr9eUba3JV6R-VVJH_TTHhT7g5ef3S2TO16fjeFdk7FR6IJZQg.jpg

It was better than the Skoda, but only just...

After that I didn't have a car myself for some while, but we shared a Fiat Uno 45S - which I loved. Economical and handled well, in the way that small Italian cars tend to do.
This was replaced by a Fiat Tipo, which was unmitigated garbage.
I then embraced an incipient mid-life crisis with one of these -

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxWVQhaeMmaSD2ZQs_LDEavO9S24aCNpF-6iukXWEyxZnLwnxKzw.jpg

and then got a job 30-odd miles away, so I got another Fiat Uno.
And occasionally drove one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREnDiiS2_MTrk0wrOrB4HSEcvKlZXPX_nl6Lc3wOlHa5gFXsG5.jpg

Starting around this time, we had a run of three Hyundais - Lantra estate, Accent and Matrix.
We chopped the Matrix in earlier this year - the warning lights on the dash were all getting a bit techno - and got one of these - a Cadillac BLS.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAIRz84O--8i19byiE0cybHMlCS0InZoe2frM3pOIdFR1Igp5z.jpg

It's all Saab 9-3 TDi running gear under the bodyshell, and it's fast, comfy and economical.
And seriously cheap to buy. Some poor bugger lost £17 000 on it in four years...

Night Train

Maker of Things
My driving history is a bit dull by comparision...
My first car was one of these.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHmDCXoi6ZPko9_1ite0VgAy8Ih_6sVHtHbU1SfuqordzJ8dFT.jpg

It was cheap. And nasty. It had several endearing handling traits, including lift-off oversteer.
I had two of those, a 120 and a 130 rapid.
I also had three engines between them as I used one, my ex wife was using one, and she was doing near 30k miles a year in her's. I would overhaul an engine and swap it into my car that she would then use. I would then overhaul the engine that came out of mine and swap it into hers. She would then swap cars again and I would overhaul the engine that came out of hers and swap it back into mine and then overhaul that engine....
I was swapping engines in them every 6 weeks or so and they would get thrashed up and down the motorways.

I got very good at overhauling those engines out of the car and swapping them over quickly.

I liked the old Skodas and have been looking for another one. It would make a great electric conversion with the weight of batteries in the front to cure the handling.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
IIRC the later ones had a somewhat-better rear suspension that helped the handling. Certainly my one handled better with a few paving slabs in the boot.

I had two of those, a 120 and a 130 rapid..
I'd love a 130 Rapid, to live in the garage with our Octavia estate!!

(failing that, a Volvo 'Amazon' estate)

There is also that other little project vehicle of mine...
That is brilliant, any more information/pics please!!

Two friends of mine (Frank Elson & John Carroll) would be very interested in that

Night Train

Maker of Things
That is brilliant, any more information/pics please!!
I don't think it exists anymore. It had a number of owners after me and last I heard it was being broken up in South Wales.:cry:

Started as a 109 Land Rover 4cyl petrol.

I used Salisbury axles modified with long shafts each side for the rear, and a widened Rover axle on the front.
There are three inverted leaf springs centrally pivoted to the chassis.
55f4_1.jpg

The axle location was by rigid A frames to a flexible bush in the chassis.
5e75_1.jpg