Non-Stick frying pans for camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Layered bi-metal cookware has other issues. Because of the different co-efficient of expansion, these pans tend to warp when heated (and return to original position when cooled) and don't make good contact with ceramic stove tops where contact is essential. It doesn't matter on a flame though.
The laminate also separates easily enough to make it difficult to guarantee this type of cookware, unless the guarantee cost is built in upfront by way of a hefty price premium.

It appears you didn't appreciate my lengthy reply to your question up above. Maybe you won't like this one either.
am not sute what wisdom of yours I failed to understand/appreciate.
re the duossal I did buy one NOS of the original version a while ago.
I haven't actually used it on the Trangia yet.
It is true that a brief experiment on my kitchen gas stove did produce momentary warping (I knew why it happened) but have been told that this isn't an issue with the spectacularly low powered Trangia.
I believe Trangia have released a new version - I don't claim to know what the functional different is.
I remain delighted with my Tchibo stainless steel pan for domestic use but won't horrify you with my recipes.
You can rest assured that I won't be buying any Titanium cookwear. I'm just as likely to fire up a carbon pan.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
I always used aluminium pots when i was camping a lot, ones that pack inside each other. The last frypan i bought for camping was a cheap steel pan, about 8", possibly from the poundshop. It had a non stick coating that didn't last long, but was still ok to use with a bit of oil in the pan. I also cut the handle off for easier packing and just used one of those gripper handles that came with my camping pots.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
We are still waiting for your explanation regarding the answer for which you criticized me. Do you have anything forthcoming? No?
I can’t be bothered with you, no. Life’s too short to rise to passive aggression on the inter web.
You get on with your dead-right metallurgy and I’ll get on with building walls and my hit and miss using my pans at dinner time. You want to boil my p*ss, but you’re not going to.

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Thanks for everyone's contributions - I never realized that a discussion on frypans could become so "heated". We have used different pans in the past, but on tour nowadays we like to fry up some mushrooms, maybe tomato, bacon in a pan, then pile that lot up to one side and cook a fried eggs each in the same pan - this needs good non-stick, once you have cooked bacon on other materials eggs will stick to the residues.
Am now thinking of going slightly heavier and perhaps getting one of the lighter end of domestic pans from Tefal. We were in France until lockdown, and one of the supermarkets there had a massive selection (Tefal are French), including some not much heavier than camping pans.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Remind me what the question was?

B393C89A-51CC-4EBD-B6AD-5F552B11176C.jpeg

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I can’t be bothered with you, no. Life’s too short to rise to passive aggression on the inter web.
You get on with your dead-right metallurgy and I’ll get on with building walls and my hit and miss using my pans at dinner time. You want to boil my p*ss, but you’re not going to.
Would that be in a stainless pan, or copper?:laugh:

Top Bottom