Non-Stick frying pans for camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

froze

Über Member
Non stick pots and pans is great idea, except they weigh a lot more than titanium of aluminum. Two non stick pot and pan combo seems to weigh around a pound on the light side, to me that's a lot. So I got a Stansport aluminum mess kit from Walmart for $10 but it only weighs 11 ounces. Yes stuff can stick to it if you're not careful with the heat, and what does stick will easily come off with a Scotch Brite non scratch plastic scrubbing pad which I carry with me.

When bike touring weight does count, of course there such a thing as getting stuff that is too light and then it doesn't hold up and or cost a lot of money. Even though the Stansport I bought is thin and easily to dent, it's also easy to take the dent back out. I store small stuff inside to save space in the pannier, and if the pans get too bad I just buy another set at Walmart, but so far they're holding up fine.

froze

Über Member
Non stick pots and pans is great idea, except they weigh a lot more than titanium of aluminum. Two non stick pot and pan combo seems to weigh around a pound on the light side, to me that's a lot. So I got a Stansport aluminum mess kit from Walmart for $10 but it only weighs 11 ounces. Yes stuff can stick to it if you're not careful with the heat, and what does stick will easily come off with a Scotch Brite non scratch plastic scrubbing pad which I carry with me.

When bike touring weight does count, of course there such a thing as getting stuff that is too light and then it doesn't hold up and or cost a lot of money. Even though the Stansport I bought is thin and easily to dent, it's also easy to take the dent back out. I store small stuff inside to save space in the pannier, and if the pans get too bad I just buy another set at Walmart, but so far they're holding up fine.

Stainless is horrible for anything other than boiling.
Why?
My best domestic frying pan is a small steel thing i got from tchibo. Food never really sticks apart from some outlyers because of the way i cook. Cleaning it a doddle, minimal soaking and clean with one of those wire pads. Still good as new on the inside.
So what's the problem with steel?

Why?
My best domestic frying pan is a small steel thing i got from tchibo. Food never really sticks apart from some outlyers because of the way i cook. Cleaning it a doddle, minimal soaking and clean with one of those wire pads. Still good as new on the inside.
So what's the problem with steel?
Don't confuse steel with stainless steel. The two are not the same. Stainless steel used in kitchenware contains about 18% chrome and 8% nickel.
Steel contains no chrome or nickel, only a bit of carbon and in the case of special steels, such as tool steel, some vanadium or cobalt etc.

For the purpose of my statement, that stainless steel is horrible for anything other than boiling (i.e. frying), the issue is the poor heat conductivity of stainless steel. When your frying pan material doesn't conduct heat all that well, you get hot spots. If you cook on a gas ring, then the heat inside the pan is concentrated where the gas ring burns. Your eggs burn in the middle but doesn't cook on the outer edges. This is evident if you examine an older pan or have burnt a pan, you'll see the ring where the heat was concentrated. Then, if you burn something in a stainless steel pan (like proper burn it until the kitchen stinks), the pan is permanently stained. This is because carbon from your food has now ingressed into the steel and formed other compounds such as , perhaps, cementite (the same stuff that messes up car brake discs when overheated and make them feel as if they're warped).

On the other hand, if you use a nice thick aluminium pan, the heat distributes evenly and it never stains when burnt on. Any burns remain superficially on the surface and can be scoured off.

How poor a conductor is stainless steel? On a scale of 1 to 400, where 400 is the best, stainless steel has a score of 15. Aluminium has a score of 237 and copper, 399. Copper is great for cooking and all sorts of other applications where heat conductivity is required. Someone mentioned fancy pantsy titanium pans. Well, Ti only scores 17. It is totally inappropriate for cookware.

Carbon steel is much better than stainless, scoring 43. But, as you can see, it pales in comparison to aluminium. Just as a silly comparison, glass has a score of less than 1, meaning that a glass frying pan is not a good idea.

Evenness of heat distribution in a pan is thus a function of the material (alu good, stainless bad), but also a function of the material thickness. If the pan is a bit thicker (which is not a problem with aluminium because it is so light), heat distribution is excellent.

However, cooking is not only about heat distribution. It is also about thermal mass. This refers to how much heat the pan can store. The more it can store, the less it will cook down when you chuck a cold steak onto it. That's why heavy cast iron pans are preferred for searing steak. You heat the hell out of the pan and lay down your steak. It will sear and keep on searing, because there's such a lot of heat stored in that heavy pan.
The conductivity of stainless steel and aluminium is easily experimented with in the kitchen. Next time you want to defrost something, put it in your stainless steel kitchen sink. After ten minutes, lift it up and notice how it has now frozen to the sink. Feel the cold spot directly under the frozen item and notice how the temperature just 10 cm further away, is almost ambient.

Now take that same frozen item and put it on an aluminium baking tray. It will never freeze onto the tray, because the heat (cold) is distributed away from the centre. Also, the entire sheet is ice cold. Defrosting food on an aluminium tray is several times faster than trying to defrost it in open air or in a kitchen sink or even in water. The aluminium tray is an excellent heat exchanger. Even if your frozen item isn't perfectly flat, the few contact points will quickly defrost, allowing the item to make better contact over a larger surface area and defrost quicker and quicker.

Stirring your coffee with a stainless steel spoon is perfectly safe. Had that spoon been aluminium or copper, you would burn your fingers each time you stir.

In days gone past, some premium cookware would feature copper bottoms. Usually an outer layer of copper, sandwiched onto a thick layer of alumium, sandwiched onto the stainless steel pot or pan's bottom. There was good reason for that.

There's beautiful science all around you, even in your kitchen. Observe, think, ask and enjoy.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Stainless steel is a fine choice for cooking if you know how to use it. The right temperature, the right choice of oil, and the right cooking time. The OP wanted a light pan to go on a tour with. My Tatonka set has served me well for many years. I cook for tens of people over the winter months in inaccessible places on moorland. We carry in all our gear and cook on multi fuel or wood. Light, durable and safer than non-stick

Last edited:
Apols if mentioned already, re the layering of pan materials, Trangia does a steel/aluminium sandwich set of pans - Duossal.

On the non-stick side of things I did recently buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1612742168...MIxeOl5fit6AIVSLDtCh0XGgfyEAQYAyABEgLGVvD_BwE

(not from that supplier though and for a fair bit less)

I bought it as it is deeper than normal Trangia pans so will allow more of my "nice" cooking.

But its lining looks like the more traditional non-stick and I must admit I don't have great hopes for its longevity.

Will be careful with it.

Last edited:

froze

Über Member
Actually copper conducts heat the best and the most evenly.

inexpensive stainless steel pans are not that good but higher end stuff works fine, in fact our house uses All Clad for some of our cooking and that stuff, All Clad uses a 3 ply stainless thickness and that stuff works very well, in fact I prefer it over our older copper stuff (which has copper bottom and stainless top surface). The only issue with stainless is it's a bit more difficult to clean but as long as you use non stick cooking spray and don't burn stuff it works great. Also Stainless is the best at searing meat besides cast iron but cast iron doesn't heat evenly and it's extremely heavy my wife won't use it. Our copper stuff is very old going back 75 years made by Revere, I think this stuff use to be good stuff back in the day but not so much any more, even back 75 years ago they weren't built thick like the All Clad stuff is. Aluminium, we don't have any aluminum cookware except in my camping stuff, while home versions are often very thick and it conducts heat very fast it does scratch easy and it doesn't tolerate acidity foods well and neither does cast iron.

All of that is well and good for the home, but this discussion is in regards to what to carry when on a bicycle tour, and carrying stainless, cast iron, non stick stuff is extra weight that isn't necessary and not welcomed when the miles pour on. I would rather sacrifice a bit of clean up work then to carry more weight so I can carry something else; and I would rather save a bit money and use that saved money for something more expensive I need for camping that's going to hold up, so I carry the thin Aluminum Stansport mess kit from Walmart that I mentioned earlier. If I'm saving nearly a pound in weight from carrying my cheap AL Stansport mess kit vs carrying a quality nonstick, and it will last a long time, then I will save weight.

There is all sorts of cheap stuff you can buy for camping that works just as well as the more expensive stuff, my backpacking friend, along with lots of You Tube videos has helped me a lot to get stuff without spending a mountain of cash that a lot of bicycle tourers and hikers pay out, even food can be found cheaper that that expensive camping food in a pouch that runs $8 to $12 a meal, my meals cost an average of $2.50.

Just checked my small tchibo pan.
Quite a heavy base.
It says it's stainless steel!
Am more than happy with it.
I use it several times a week for making my cobbled together pasta sauces.
Which at times I almost live on.
Going to be getting a lot of use the next 12 weeks.

Isn't that exactly what I said, complete with quantitative detail?

Also Stainless is the best at searing meat besides cast iron but cast iron doesn't heat evenly and it's extremely heavy my wife won't use it.
You are contradicting yourself here and providing false information. Cast iron, because of its superior conductivity to stainless steel, does heat more evenly than stainless. The thermal conductivity of cast iron is in the order of 48, vs the 15 of SS.

All of that is well and good for the home, but this discussion is in regards to what to carry when on a bicycle tour, and carrying stainless, cast iron, non stick stuff is extra weight that isn't necessary and not welcomed when the miles pour on.

Yes, I think we all know what the topic under discussion is. My response was to clarify a direct question comparing two materials. I didn't suggest anyone lug cast iron skillets "When the miles pour on."

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've had pretty good luck with that Stansport aluminum cookset, as well as the Ozark Trail stainless, but I find I use the Stansport more due to the lighter weight. Both function well and keep fairly clean if deglazed and cleaned well. If you mind your heat and your cooking, both are pretty easy to use. I have also been known, when I toured more in the past, to carry a very small cast iron fry pan.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If you watch this you will never use a non-stick pan ever again, ever. Shocking. Also fabrics chemically treated so they are windproof or waterproof.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06rs4v2

For me it is stainless steel or titanium pans.

Both titanium and stainless are quite poor pan materials. Neither is a good conductor of heat and titanium is very expensive, particularly for such a poor material for an application where its strenght is no great advantage. Aluminium is cheap, light, and an excellent conductor of heat and is a near perfect pan material, particularly if you are carrying it. I've seen, but not used, trangia's anodised aluminium pans, which could be an alternative to non-stick. My trangia pans are bare aluminium, but can be a pain to wash up.

My house pans are (fairly thick ~3 or 4mm) copper lined with stainless, not to be confused with a stainless steel pan plated with an essentially decorative copper layer which isn't the same thing at all. Copper is an even better conductor than aluminium, but they are very expensive and far too heavy to carry camping

Last edited:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nicely backed up with years of experience no doubt. If you’re right, giant companies like MSR, Tatonka etc are wrong. Or maybe you’re just bored and out for some inane trolling :okay:

Nicely backed up by the laws of physics and many decades of cooking experience, mostly at home. Stainless is a poor conductor, so you get uneven heating, stickage and burnt bits. It's OK for boiling spuds but poor for stews and so on.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

inexpensive stainless steel pans are not that good but higher end stuff works fine, in fact our house uses All Clad for some of our cooking and that stuff, All Clad uses a 3 ply stainless thickness and that stuff works very well, in fact I prefer it over our older copper stuff (which has copper bottom and stainless top surface). The only issue with stainless is it's a bit more difficult to clean but as long as you use non stick cooking spray and don't burn stuff it works great. Also Stainless is the best at searing meat besides cast iron but cast iron doesn't heat evenly and it's extremely heavy my wife won't use it. Our copper stuff is very old going back 75 years made by Revere, I think this stuff use to be good stuff back in the day but not so much any more, even back 75 years ago they weren't built thick like the All Clad stuff is. Aluminium, we don't have any aluminum cookware except in my camping stuff, while home versions are often very thick and it conducts heat very fast it does scratch easy and it doesn't tolerate acidity foods well and neither does cast iron.

All of that is well and good for the home, but this discussion is in regards to what to carry when on a bicycle tour, and carrying stainless, cast iron, non stick stuff is extra weight that isn't necessary and not welcomed when the miles pour on. I would rather sacrifice a bit of clean up work then to carry more weight so I can carry something else; and I would rather save a bit money and use that saved money for something more expensive I need for camping that's going to hold up, so I carry the thin Aluminum Stansport mess kit from Walmart that I mentioned earlier. If I'm saving nearly a pound in weight from carrying my cheap AL Stansport mess kit vs carrying a quality nonstick, and it will last a long time, then I will save weight.

There is all sorts of cheap stuff you can buy for camping that works just as well as the more expensive stuff, my backpacking friend, along with lots of You Tube videos has helped me a lot to get stuff without spending a mountain of cash that a lot of bicycle tourers and hikers pay out, even food can be found cheaper that that expensive camping food in a pouch that runs $8 to $12 a meal, my meals cost an average of $2.50.

Point of pedantry - copper is not the best conductor; that would be silver, and I believe silver pans do exist for chocolate heating and such in exotic establishments. Realistically this is a novelty for obvious reasons, as copper is expensive enough

Nicely backed up with years of experience no doubt. If you’re right, giant companies like MSR, Tatonka etc are wrong. Or maybe you’re just bored and out for some inane trolling :okay:
We are still waiting for your explanation regarding the answer for which you criticized me. Do you have anything forthcoming? No?

Apols if mentioned already, re the layering of pan materials, Trangia does a steel/aluminium sandwich set of pans - Duossal.

On the non-stick side of things I did recently buy one of these:

Layered bi-metal cookware has other issues. Because of the different co-efficient of expansion, these pans tend to warp when heated (and return to original position when cooled) and don't make good contact with ceramic stove tops where contact is essential. It doesn't matter on a flame though.
The laminate also separates easily enough to make it difficult to guarantee this type of cookware, unless the guarantee cost is built in upfront by way of a hefty price premium.

It appears you didn't appreciate my lengthy reply to your question up above. Maybe you won't like this one either.

Top Bottom